Botox Incontinence

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox Incontinence

Postby lytefall » 07 Jun 2018, 20:04

So I had Botox injections 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I had some incontinence to begin but cut back a lot on my med regimen (miralax, docusate and mag citrate) hoping that it was mostly just because everything was so soft.

Things had been better but fast forward to today and I had flatus incontinence as well as a pretty large incontinence of stool while at work in the middle of performing my job. No warning at all.

I am so devastated right now. I thought things would be getting better but I seem to be having more pain because I cut back on the meds, and now incontinence is back.

Any suggestions on what to do next?
lytefall
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Botox Incontinence

Postby patience_and_healing » 08 Jun 2018, 23:24

I didn't have incontinence with Botox but I definitely had a lot of urgency. Remember the Botox isn't permanent and will wear off with time, so you'll regain control slowly. It's definitely tough to feel like you have no control over your BMs but it'll get better. How much of a dose were you given? I had 50 units, 25 on each side.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby lytefall » 09 Jun 2018, 08:45

I am not 100% sure how much the CRS used but he ordered 100 units for me to pick up at the pharmacy.

I am having that deep ache again now like sphincter spasm, but that can’t be right just 3 weeks after the Botox can it?
lytefall
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 Jun 2018, 11:44

The thing with botox is that it works on the voluntary muscles, not involuntary ones. The internal sphincter is an involuntary muscle. Paralyzing the voluntary muscles that surround it may help a fissure to heal. In many cases this may not be enough for healing, hence people opt for surgery which directly reduces the spasm of the internal sphincter. Hope this makes sense.

3 weeks is not that long after Botox. It can take more time to show full effect, and hopefully you'll have less pain in the coming days. Are you still applying any of the ointments like nitro or nifedipine?
patience_and_healing

Postby lytefall » 09 Jun 2018, 14:16

Hmm. I didn’t know this. I feel like that explains a lot though of the sensations I have been experiencing (or lack thereof)

Do LIS wouldn’t necessarily cause the exact same level of incontinence (if any) because it’s a different muscle? I wish my CRS would have explained this to me. He told me Botox was the exact same as a sphincterotomy only chemical instead of structural.
lytefall
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 10 Jun 2018, 01:41

I don't know how to compare the effects of Botox with LIS. I'm not knowledgeable enough about that. There are plenty of people on here who've had successful surgery after Botox and without any incontinence. But it's definitely something to ask your doctor if you're concerned about it.
patience_and_healing

Postby b-complex » 23 Jun 2018, 08:17

in my third day now having done botox , dont have any incontinence .
bowel is still hard to push , began yesterday with mag.citrate to see if it helps soften my bowel.

my doc told me its not like it will come out of it self, bc i asked him about it. he just said you will get the urge to go and its harder for you to hold .

incontinence is what i was afraid of too.
b-complex
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby lytefall » 23 Jun 2018, 08:22

I weaned back a lot on meds and it seems to have helped. Also I saw my CRS and he said it should get better with time (apparently it wears off down to about 60-70% effective after about 4-5 weeks). That seems to be the case so far. I still have some loss of control especially with coughing or sneezing.

The worst part right now is flatus incontinence. I can’t run or squat sometimes without passing gas involuntarily which makes the treadmill or certain movements at the gym a no go for now. Ugh
lytefall
Salt Bather

Postby Dimath » 23 Jun 2018, 18:07

Hello there. I ve had my AF for a bit more than two weeks now . First week was a nightmare since I did nt know what it was so I took medication for hemorrhoids. Fortunately some was the same as u are given for fissure. Not to repeat the different methods I tried them all. Did bottox on Monday.(a week ago)
The pain started to wear off 3 -4 days after the procedure which by the way was painful as F__k because the doc only used xeloCaine creme and did nt really wait long to start with the injections.he did six all around the sphincter .He had told me that if I don t see any major difference to the pain 3-4 days after , then it would mean the procedure failed.
A week after the pain has been diminishing almost completely but I m having some problems with incontinence( or to put it more correctly when I need to go I have to go). Hope it gets better with time. He told me to use some other medication too like effecol and antibiotics . What I would like to point out though , according always to my doctor is that if you are to use bottox or any other form of more radical treatment than just creams hot baths etc.,then you should nt really wait for many weeks or even months because it will only make it harder to heal. Of course not all anal fissures are the same and I respect most methods I read in here. Also the doctor performing bottox treatment should be experienced with it , it makes a difference with percentage of success. I really hope this strange sensation I have down there after bottox wears off. But the truth is even that is better than the AF pain.
Dimath