Positive results with metronidazole suppositories

Pain relief and progress, but not a miracle cure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Positive results with metronidazole suppositories

Postby ttt2018 » 05 Jun 2018, 16:16

I have joined the forum to report positive results using metronidazole suppositories. Through the search function, I see this drug has already been discussed, but I wanted to share my experience and urge others of you to try this relatively innovative treatment. This is not a miracle cure, but it is by far the most effective treatment I have had.

A gastroenterologist prescribed a 10-day course of metronidazole suppositories (Flagyl), one a day, inserted at night. It is very important to note that, even though this is an antibiotic, this treatment is NOT for infected anal fissures, and to get these results you must use it locally (suppository or cream, and not pills). The doctor was very clear that mine is not infected. I have accompanied it with the use of macrogol (Miralax), diet management, a nightly muscle relaxant (Librax), and nitroglycerine cream (Rectogesic). Having used all these other treatments extensively before, I am quite convinced that the metronidazole was what brought me the relief, in line with what the doctor explained to me.

This time, unlike times past, I was in unbearable, nauseating pain before the treatment. Within hours of inserting a suppository for the first time, the horrible pain had vanished. The wound rapidly improved too, although there have been predictable setbacks and it is not fully healed. While on the metronidazole suppositories, I have also not been entirely pain free, but it is now really very manageable and I can function day-to-day, which was not true a few weeks ago. I still deal with frequent depression, as well as anxiety about going to the bathroom, and I do see blood sometimes. However, the improvement this treatment brought was astonishingly immediate and dramatic. Hopefully this can help some of you too.
ttt2018
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Positive results with metronidazole suppositories

Postby ttt2018 » 19 Feb 2019, 15:25

I see no one ever responded to this - you should really check this treatment out if you are suffering from pain. I'm also curious whether others had the same results as I did. (Alas, it did not cure the chronic fissure, but it gave me my life back pain wise.)
ttt2018
Fibre Addict

Postby SueMac » 19 Feb 2019, 15:50

Really interesting thanks for sharing. My fissure is closed apparently but I'm still in pain. Why were you prescribed this do you think?
SueMac
Fissureologist

Topics: 7

Postby chachacha » 19 Feb 2019, 16:00

I don't recall seeing this post last year. Thanks for the interesting information. I'm sure that those currently suffering, might want to try this.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby ttt2018 » 19 Feb 2019, 16:23

As far as I know, it was just a novel, off-label use (FA was not infected). It may take some convincing to get a doctor to prescribe it.
ttt2018
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 19 Feb 2019, 17:03

Yes, it would probably depend on you, your doctor, and the relationship you share.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby ttt2018 » 21 Feb 2019, 17:36

I just talked to my proctologist. Apparently this treatment has dramatic anti-inflammatory properties, which is what makes it so effective.
ttt2018
Fibre Addict

Postby SueMac » 22 Feb 2019, 12:09

Thanks for sharing. I'm really glad it's helped you.
SueMac
Fissureologist

Topics: 7