Once again - laxatives and softeners

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Once again - laxatives and softeners

Postby Fissulyna » 17 May 2008, 00:02

Laxatives are simply things consumed in an attempt to loosen stools and treat constipation. They can be drugs, foods, or compounds. Laxatives work by hastening elimination of undigested food in the colon and large intestine.
There are several different kinds of laxatives, some are natural and others are not...
Vegetables and foods - Certain foods and vegetables have shown to be effective laxatives and can be taken to help relieve constipation. Some of these include dates, apple juice, beets, chicory, almonds, endive, coconut, chocolate, grapes, coffee, chicken broth, flaxseed, liquorice, mangos, papayas, molasses, olives, prunes, plums, pineapple, and walnuts.
Bulk-producing agents - Bulking agents bulk the tool and cause it to retain more water. They also form a gel which makes it easier to pass along and should be consumed with lots of water. These are typically very gentle and can be taken regularly with no negative or unwanted side effects. Some examples of these bulking agents include psyllium husk, methylcellulose, apples, dietary fiber, and polycarbophil.
Stool softeners - Stool softeners such as docusate cause fat and water to penetrate the stool and makes them easier to pass. If used on a regular basis, stool softeners can become ineffective as the body develops a tolerance for them.
Lubricants - Lubricants have one job, to make the stool slippery and easier to pass. Mineral oil is a great example of a lubricant.
Hydrating agents - Hydrating agents help the intestines to hold water which softens the stool.
Stimulants and irritants - Laxatives such as Ex-lax can be dangerous and prolonged use can lead to a cathartic colon. Stimulants are the most severe of all laxatives and should generally be used in emergency conditions.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: Once again - laxatives and softeners

Postby Fissulyna » 17 May 2008, 00:12

Fibercon =polycarbophil
Citrucel = methylcellulose
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby cherylk » 17 May 2008, 06:09

Fiss,
Another great posting on foods and laxative types! I am wondering what category Miralax falls into? I think I read it in a previous post, but don't remember what was stated.
Thanks,
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 17 May 2008, 07:35

Thanks Fiss,
That was my first thought too Cheryl :D
"See also: Glycolax, Miralax, Polyethylene Glycol Generic Name: Polyethylene Glycol
Glycolax is another name for the laxative Polyethylene Glycol. This is an osmotic laxative which works by drawing water into the gut and is used in the treatment of constipation. "
If i could chosse what to take it would be the psyllium Image
Last edited by Guest on 18 May 2008, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jen » 17 May 2008, 09:13

Thanks Fiss! This was really informative. This is all the information one would ever need to know about laxatives and poo! Image Image
My doctor told me that people should always use a bulking agent (fiber) once their Fissure is starting to heal. The spincter is like any other muscle in the body - it needs to be used or it will decrease in size and function. When you add bulk, the spincter is having to strech more - and thus keeping it function properly.
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 17 May 2008, 13:15

Yes my consultant said the same Jen :)
I may try and switch soon as i do worry about that Image

Postby val » 18 May 2008, 12:19

thanks Fiss,

that was great information, all this is really confusing!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86