LIS scheduled for 2nd of July!!

LIS with tag removal. Nervous but excited!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS scheduled for 2nd of July!!

Postby tightbutt5678 » 26 Jun 2019, 04:35

So it's happening!! I am so ready to go for it! The only thing I am nervous about is the tag removal which is going to be the painful part. I was almost going to suggest leaving the tag out of fear but he thinks I'll be happy once it is gone and he usually removes skin tags anyway. He is a CRS with around 30 years of experience and has never seen permanent incontinence after LIS. He's super conservative with the incision for women which also puts me at ease. So fingers crossed! Any post op advice is welcome!
- February 2019 : Fissure
- Tried all of the creams, perfecting the diet, self dilation
- Reduced symptoms significantly but still not healed
- July 2019 : LIS with tag removal
tightbutt5678
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: LIS scheduled for 2nd of July!!

Postby Abu » 26 Jun 2019, 09:22

Good luck Tightbutt, I am sure you will be allright!
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby chachacha » 26 Jun 2019, 09:45

With my hemorrhoidectomy, I found that wearing disposal underwear was much easier than dealing with keeping a pad in place, and also trying to keep the pad from pushing too hard on the anal area. I also purchased baby diapers (preemie size) to use as ice packs (wish that I'd heard about this trick before my LIS!), because you can freeze several in ziploc bags, to use as needed, and because they're naturally absorbant, they don't start leaking all over you, and/or your couch and clothing, during use. Congrats on making your decision and I hope that all goes well next week.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby tightbutt5678 » 27 Jun 2019, 07:01

Thanks Abu!

And thanks chachacha for the advice! I actually wasn't aware that ice was good for post-op for fissures. So far I've heard more about heat care through baths etc. That's interesting to know. Did you have a skin tag removed? I am wondering how long it'll take for that new wound to heal...
tightbutt5678
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 27 Jun 2019, 08:57

I wouldn't use it immediately, but it can help with the pain and swelling. My doctor said that I could use heat or ice (and DEFINITELY sitz baths 4 times a day for the first week), for any discomfort. I had many skin tags removed when I had the hemorrhoidectomy, but they had been caused by the LIS and would have been left alone if I hadn't required the hemmie surgery. I really can't say how long it took, because I also had all three internal hemorrhoid columns removed as well. There was no way to determine exactly where the pain came from and it lasted many weeks as was to be expected. If you're only having one tag taken off, it may heal fairly quickly. Did your doctor not say? And if not, can you contact his/her office and ask?
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby tightbutt5678 » 27 Jun 2019, 21:03

Ah ok, yes I imagine it's hard to know where the pain comes from when you've had a few things done. I actually just forgot to ask about full healing time for the skin tag because I was asking so many other questions. But he did say that I'd suffer a bit for around 4 days then I'd stop hating him lol. Hoping that is fairly accurate and that the intense pain doesn't last too long. My hope is to be pain free after 2 weeks then full healing maybe 4 weeks...
tightbutt5678
Proctosphincteranalogist