Soluble vs Insoluble Fibre

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Soluble vs Insoluble Fibre

Postby JaimeDeschain » 19 Jul 2019, 05:05

Greetings, Anal Fissure community! I have had to make a new account, due to forgetting my old password (I believe the account was "Chambers21").

I was wondering if anyone knows of a chart/list of many foods containing souluble or insoluble fibres. Things like beetroot, peppers, cucumber, hummus, milk, avacado, whey protein etc.

For years, i have been trying to eat substantial amounts of fruits and vegetables, assuming they were only doing me good. After a weeks holiday, which consisted of me comsuming mainly small amounts of fruits and veg, cornish pasties, pizza, fish and chips and worst of all - alcohol (Mainly ciders. Whether that makes a difference, I am not sure). Weirdly, my stools were a lot less painful than when im eating healthily. I am wondering if this is due to the reduction in insoluble fibres, or fibres as a whole.
JaimeDeschain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Soluble vs Insoluble Fibre

Postby JaimeDeschain » 19 Jul 2019, 10:39

For some reason I had to split the original post into seperate parts or it wouldn't let me post.

My usual days food consumption back home is -

Breakfast - Red Pepper, Cucumber, hummus and avacado

Lunch - Steamed beetroot with vinegar, raw onion, pineapple and a homemade protein shake (consisting of 70 grams ground oats, 1 scoop of impact whey protein, 15 ml olive oil, 15 ml coconut oil and around 600 ml of whole milk).

Snack - Strawberries, Raspberries or something similar

Diner - Usually something along the lines of a homemade Sphagetti Bolognaise, Pasta Bake, Stir Fry etc. Nearly always homemade with fresh ingrediants. I eat a meal with fish when i can.

Sometimes I will have some lagers or gin and tonics. But unless i go over the top, this seems to soften my stools rather than dry them out. Other than that, I pretty much only drink water - about 2 - 4 litres a day.

TL;DR : Could anyone link me to a list of Soluble Fibres vs Insoluble Fibres please

:thankyou
JaimeDeschain
Fibre Addict

Postby tightbutt5678 » 19 Jul 2019, 20:07

Hello Jaime!
Sorry I don't have the link you requested, but someone shared this with me a few weeks ago and I found it interesting.

https://trans4mind.com/nutrition/pH.html

Some foods seem to have more acidity than others which might affect how painful BMs are. I really don't know though, I find it SO difficult to understand what is safe and what's not. I just make a food diary and try to figure it out by process of elimination.

I do definitely think that reducing fibre makes stools smaller so that may have been what happened on your holiday. It's great you were in less pain though! Maybe the less healthy diet works better for your body and if that is the case, I am very jealous haha.
- February 2019 : Fissure
- Tried all of the creams, perfecting the diet, self dilation
- Reduced symptoms significantly but still not healed
- July 2019 : LIS with tag removal
tightbutt5678
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby JaimeDeschain » 22 Jul 2019, 07:12

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely have a look k to the acidity of foods, never thought about it before!
JaimeDeschain
Fibre Addict

Postby Thorgrim » 12 Aug 2019, 16:29

Just to add to the acidity thing, I have found post LIS that I can longer drink alcohol because it can give me very acidic/ burning BMS's. Alcohol is possibly the most acid thing out there, other acidic things do not bother me as much. I think it is due to the LIS scaring and the fissure scaring- even water sometimes can kinda burn. It could also be that I just have a lot more feeling back there now with the loose muscle

Fiber is really wired, before LIS I always had really big bowl movements, I focused on soluble fiber thinking it would make my BMs softer. I still eat a lot of soluble fiber and tend to have very loose and soft stool, somedays I would like it be a little firmer because its hard to clean off. I think If I was going through a fissure again I would actually focus more on insoluble fiber because it pushes stool out of your body faster- there are a few caveats to this though I think cooked vegetable insoluble fiber ( like kale) will push food out of your body but grain fibers could bulk stools. but you do need both kinds of fiber.
Thorgrim
Salt Bather

Topics: 4