The classic triad of chronic anal fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

The classic triad of chronic anal fissure

Postby bottice » 27 Aug 2019, 06:23

So I have been doing some reading on anal fissure and I found something that caught my attention.

When your fissure turns into a chronic fissure, you could likely have the classic triad. The triad being the fissure itself, the sentinel pile(or skin tag), and a hypertrophied anal papillae(or anal papilla). I know about the skin tag and the fissure but the anal papilla was new to me. It's like the sentinel pile but it's in the opposite direction. When I first noticed I had a problem in my anus I thought it was hemorrhoids,but then I went to a doctor and he said it was a fissure. So I had to rethink what I had and I think I might have a anal papilla. Some time later I felt a sharp pain near the outer edge of my anus and I think that is the skin tag.
At this point I already have had this fissure for 3 years now. So I'm pretty sure I got the classic triad already.

Has anyone else heard of this before?
bottice
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: The classic triad of chronic anal fissure

Postby Fissurefrustration » 27 Aug 2019, 15:21

Yes I have, my colorectal surgeon told me about it. Sometimes it rears it’s ugly head and causes so much bother and it’s hard to tell which of the 3 are playing up. There’s a 4th dimension too which is the scar tissue which never stretches or fully repairs itself back to what it was
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby chachacha » 27 Aug 2019, 19:12

I knew I had the fissure and tag, and when I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy, my surgeon showed me the papilla on the screen. I think that most people have all three and also know that they do. FF has a good point to add the scar tissue issue, because that also causes some people a lot of grief.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby TomatoSoup » 29 Aug 2019, 14:03

Yes I had all three of these things. The sentinel pile was what got me to keep going to doctors since I just had this weird lumpy thing on the outside that worried me. I ended up getting LIS and the surgeon removed the tag and informed me that I also had the papillae thing once he got inside. He said he did something for it but I can't remember.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7