Healed. Then Not. Healed. Then Not.

Fissure Returning

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Healed. Then Not. Healed. Then Not.

Postby foreverbum1 » 09 Feb 2020, 12:02

Hello all,

I have a quick question, little background:

My first fissure was in 2012, took about 2 months to heal.
In March of 2019 I developed another fissure after a round of heavy antibiotics to treat Hpylori.

It started to heal around late April. I went to CRS right around the time it started to heal. He diagnosed me with fissure and said to return in July. The fissure seemed to heal for the most part I kept take mirlax daily to keep everything soft and for the fear of it returning. All things were running smoothly for a few months, then I would have a minor setback little bit of pain no blood. It would last a few days then all things would go back to normal. This happened about 4 times throughout the year - some minor setback, some blood hear and there.
Has anyone had this kind of experience? I prefer to not take Miralax everyday. I have another appointment with my CRS in the next few days, even though the fissure hasn't bothered me in a week. I am a bit nervous because of the exam I don't want anything bad to come of it. Really just seeing if anyone has dealt with a fissure popping up, going away, popping up and going away over a course of a year? I know the CRS will probably suggest LIS, but wanted to hear of others experience.
foreverbum1
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Healed. Then Not. Healed. Then Not.

Postby Allthepain2 » 09 Feb 2020, 21:50

I'm in the exact same situation right now. If I continue with Miralax, I do ok for months. I will occasionally have a small tear, but I could live with that. Unfortunately, whenever I stop taking Miralax, the fissure returns in full force. The doctor told me that I could take Miralax for life, but I'm not too happy with that idea. There aren't any true long term studies on its use so I find it frustrating that so many doctors claim it's perfectly safe to take for life.

Anyways, since I wasn't fully healed without Miralax, I decided to get Botox. I'm only about 2 weeks out, but I kind of regret that decision. The procedure ended up retearing me and I was back to my original pain. I asked for more Diltiazem and I'm basically back to square one now.

As for LIS, my doctor feels strongly against the procedure since I'm a female, but I know many other doctors will do it.

Once I'm "healed" again, I'm thinking about trying to find better alternatives to Miralax... If those exist. As of now, I think that's my best solution even though that basically leaves me with a chronic condition rather than a cure.
Allthepain2
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Allthepain2 » 09 Feb 2020, 21:52

Forgot to add that I've been like this for about almost 3 years now.
Allthepain2
Salt Bather

Postby foreverbum1 » 09 Feb 2020, 22:29

I see what you’re saying Allthepain. I have dilitizam that I only use before my first bm in the morning, my first CRS mentioned that miralax is good forever. My new CRS recommended against as it could result in a looser not fully formed stool. Other than the occasional itching is pretty livable with it if it just bothers me every few months with a little bit of blood for a few days then fully heals. Seems to come up after larger spicier meals. I also failed to mention that I have EOE which is also a auto immune condition where certain cells accumulate in my esophagus because of a whole host of food allergies, so I have a pretty regular diet of gluten free oats, sunflower butter, rice burgers peas/broccoli. I’ll be interested to see what my CRS says in a few days, I didn’t want to cancel my appointment as it takes months to get in even if I’m not having any symptoms.
foreverbum1
Fibre Addict

Postby foreverbum1 » 12 Feb 2020, 12:55

Allthepain - met with CRS yesterday and he mentioned that miralax is safe. Did have a retear during the exam which sucked as I have been good for a few weeks. He told me about Botox but didn’t recommend too much for men more so women because of the differences in muscle makeup. He also stated that LIS is pretty successful overall and it was my decision whether to have it taken care of or not. So for now it’s still miralax and dilitizam in the am.
foreverbum1
Fibre Addict

Postby Allthepain2 » 12 Feb 2020, 13:05

Do you think you'll go the LIS route? After mine constantly healing/retearing, I've come to the conclusion that it will never truly heal without LIS. That being said, boths CRSs I've seen are against LIS for females so I think I will probably keep trying to self manage for now. I might try to find some healthier Miralax alternatives in the future.

If I were male, I think I'd seriously consider LIS because it'd be really nice to actually be cured. I do have a fear of any level of incontinence (even if it's just gas), but I think that the chances are relatively low. I think the fear is that as people age, their muscles deteriorate more which makes people more likely to have issues in the future. I don't really know how often that happens. I swear different doctors will probably tell you different things.

Anyways, I guess mine is manageable for now with Miralax and Diltiazem even though it's not "cured".

Good luck with your decision!
Allthepain2
Salt Bather

Postby foreverbum1 » 12 Feb 2020, 13:12

I’m not sure that I will jump right on board with LIS. I’m probably going to give another few months and see how I feel. Once I’m “healed” I’m going to slowly take away miralax and see what happens. If it keeps being bothersome I will probably go ahead and do it. I have the same fears as you, but he said that none of his patients have had that problem. He of course did say there is a chance but it tends to happen to people who are much older and since I am in my 30s shouldn’t be a problem. I think the whole root of my problem comes down to a right sphincter . I’ve had this problem for many many years - so I’ve grown used to it. Another fact he mentioned is that I would be out of commission for 3/4 days, which I though was crazy considering the stories in this site.
foreverbum1
Fibre Addict

Postby supersadguy » 28 Feb 2020, 17:26

I am in same boat. I did have LIS, few years back and it cured a really nasty fissure. I got one last may, not as bad just kinda wont go away. Still dealing with it. The sentinel tag is bothering me, and I have been very anxious lately. CRS says maybe botax down the road but doesn't recommend another LIS. I just want this to go away, it gets in your head and all I can think about is my butt. I feel like a crazy person and it upsets me.
supersadguy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby foreverbum1 » 28 Feb 2020, 17:28

How quickly did you heal after LIS? I’m scheduled for 4/1. Decided enough was enough with it even though it hasn’t been terrible these past few weeks.
foreverbum1
Fibre Addict

Postby supersadguy » 28 Feb 2020, 20:45

Heal? Well, 3-4 weeks if i can remember. Then baby it for another 2 months. Right afterward it is not fun, I would say for a few days. It gets rid of the spasms you are basically just healing the cut and the scrape if he/she scraps it. I only needed pain meds for maybe 3 days. Then i think i went to advil.

Yeah what I am dealing with now, is no where near like it was for me. When i got this new one, I was traveling A LOT and could not really take care of it like I should have. Doc thinks its partial healed and there is def a skin tag that swells up after BM, but it does bother me everyday. Perhaps botox and a scrape in the future, however if i take one poop a day its not too bad.

Hope i answered your questions.
supersadguy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6