Botox experience and recovery

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Botox experience and recovery

Postby Suffering2long » 26 Sep 2020, 23:26

I thought I’d start a little diary explaining the Botox procedure I had done 2 days ago. I’ve had successful Botox in the past three different times(2017, 2018 and February 2020). I had a retear in may. Tried all the standard treatments at home to no avail.
Since my Dr didn’t want to perform LIS on me due to having children, I decided to look for a new surgeon for a second opinion.
In early September, my new dr sent me for pressure tests. They came back as me having high resting pressure. Ultimately she wanted to give Botox another go as she felt she could have success targeting the specific area of muscle with ultrasound guidance.
So on Friday I went in to hospital for day surgery. Waited quite a long time, I was last called in due to being the youngest patient in the queue. I’m late 30’s.
After getting a bed and undressing, the anesthetist arrived, I answered some questions and the cannula was inserted ready for theatre.
Half an hour later I was wheeled into surgery where about 7 doctors and nurses were waiting. Within five mins I was put to sleep. Woke up in recovery about an hour later. Got dressed, had a drink and sandwich and was sent home. I felt very nauseous in the car but only in a small amount of pain as I was given a nerve block. I had 100 units of Botox given in the 3 and 9 o’clock areas high up in the canal. This is considered a large dose.
I arrived home, had something small to eat and a shower. Went to bed early. Slept perfect.
Next morning I had a BM first thing. Pain and burning was a 8/10. Soft but felt stuck. Jumped in the bath straight after. Continuing diltiazem and obviously stool softeners, fibre etc.
Mid morning there was a fair amount of pain and spasm. Tapered off in afternoon. I have sneezed twice and gas has escaped without warning. Hopefully just a result of the recent surgery and not from Botox. I think it’s too early for it to work yet.
Day 2 has been much the same so far. I noticed a lot of swelling in the tissue around anus. Everything seems to have been irritated. The nerve block has worn off now.
I was doing ok before surgery and not in a lot of pain but it wasn’t healing 100%. Sometimes there was bleeding and sometimes none. So far the recovery is identical to the other Botox experiences.
I will update on the process of healing in a few days.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Re: Botox experience and recovery

Postby Suffering2long » 28 Sep 2020, 18:13

Day 4 update: I’m certain the botox has kicked in. I can barely squeeze the muscle to hold on until I can get to the toilet. It’s so dead down there now. It definitely wasn’t this intense the last three times. I’m having no spasms or bleeding. Pain is down to a 1/10. Just irritation and a slight itch. My BM is soft, smallish but formed. It used to feel like soft stools were hard before even if they weren’t.
I also have no bruising like the last time. This surgeon was definitely more gentle.

I have never put myself on a super strict fissure diet. I only try to eat 20 to 30 grams of fibre per day and that includes the normacol plus which is approximately 8g. I take 2 magnesium citrate. Water intake is about 1.5 litres now. I used to drink 3lt a day but found it made no difference except going to the bathroom a tonne.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Suffering2long » 29 Sep 2020, 05:55

I’m not in a very good frame of mind. It’s evening now and I have gone to the bathroom again. I almost didn’t make it. It took about 6 secs to start coming out , I sat down in the nick of time! I’m devastated that I’ll be incontinent for months! I know it’s temporary but it still upsets me. I’m basically going to be stuck at home. I had blood and now throbbing too just to make matters worse. Sorry for the negative post guys.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Suffering2long » 30 Sep 2020, 21:53

Day 6: the last couple of days I have had 4 BMs per day! All soft no 4/5 to 7 on Bristol scale.
I’ve had minimal blood like a spec here and there. Pain has been more of a stinging pain. I have a firm hemorrhoid at the anal verge that is causing me the most trouble I think. If I touch it, it hurts. I have a red angry looking skin tag as well. I’m not too bothered with that but wish the hemorrhoid would go! I’ve ordered some vein health supplement so maybe that will aid the healing?
Still can’t hold BM at all. 100 units was too much. All I can think is this better be worth it! I’m not so sure though. I haven’t left the house so I’m close to toilet :cry:
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Suffering2long » 03 Oct 2020, 19:11

Day 9: the hemorrhoid that I thought I had turns out to be a thrombosed hemorrhoid or perianal hematoma. It looks identical to pics I googled. I took a photo of myself (never thought I’d be doing that in my life). I have not one but two blue/purple pea size lumps.
Yesterday was so painful that I couldn’t sit but today is better. I’m hoping they are going down!
Botox is working for the fissure I think. It’s hard to tell because of the pain of the lumps down there. There is minimal pain when using the toilet. I have been taking Sitz Baths and they’ve been the only thing to relieve the pain. I have so many different creams and oils and ointments but none really work.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Pzgre » 04 Oct 2020, 12:28

Thanks for keeping a diary about your experience.
Hope this works out for you. I've heart the incontinence is only temporary....hopefully just a few weeks. Good luck
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Suffering2long » 05 Oct 2020, 21:23

Thanks pzgre, I hope so too!
I have learnt to recognise the littlest sign that I need to go and be in the bathroom literally waiting.

The most frustrating thing about this is not knowing if it’s healing. The damn hemorrhoid or whatever it is, is definitely hurting but not sure if the fissure itself is or not. There is no passing glass/tearing feeling and no blood so I’m guessing that’s a good sign.
My next appointment with the surgeon is in early November. Hopefully she can tell me what’s going on.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Suffering2long » 07 Oct 2020, 23:35

Day 13 I think. No pain or blood today! I am continuing the baths. I’m still doing small soft BM 4 times a day. Still no control over bowels unfortunately. I went for a short walk today But had to make sure I hadn’t eaten so I didn’t get any urge!
There is a slight irritation but only because I’m going so much. If I could go just once or twice it wouldn’t be an issue. I’m reducing normacol today by a little.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Suffering2long » 07 Oct 2020, 23:38

Also the hemorrhoid has reduced in size now. I felt a pinch or a little pop yesterday with a heap of blood. Scared me actually but it was definitely coming from the left side. It’s still there but reduced and no more pain from it.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Pzgre » 08 Oct 2020, 00:07

Good to hear you are doing better . Hopefully the control of bowel movements will return soon. Take it easy and try not to worry...which I know is easier said than done.
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 1