I had LIS two weeks ago. Is this incontinence?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I had LIS two weeks ago. Is this incontinence?

Postby hope_1234 » 26 Apr 2021, 11:06

I'm 33 years old man. I have been dealing with a fissure for 7 months now and just had LIS, fissurectomy and skin tag removal two week ago. My doctor also found a small Pilonidal and removed it while doing the LIS.

Every time I go for a BM I use a bidet and clean and using a mirror I see that it's all clean. However, after an hour or so I see a small (can only be seen in a mirror) poop leakage and have to wash again. Plus, during the day every couple of hours I see a leakage which is a little different from the one I see right after I poop. This one is yellow greenish and stinky (sorry for the gross description). I'm not sure if it's again poop or it's something else coming from the surgery or the fissure wound. Is this incontinece? How would incontinece feel like?

I really appreciate any experience or advice.
Thank you and have a good day,
hope_1234

Topics: 1

Re: I had LIS two weeks ago. Is this incontinence?

Postby oriolesfan » 26 Apr 2021, 17:15

I'm almost exactly in the same situation as you. 34 and had LIS almost 2 weeks ago. There initially was some significant mucous-like discharge, but it has dissipated mostly. I think that it was a combination of pus leaking from the LIS incision which was left open to "heal from the inside out" so it didn't become infected. Plus, I think I've had some minor leakage of intestinal mucous during passing gas. So far it has improved slightly every day, and I have a follow up in another week with the doctor. I have noticed that the fissure itself is still stinging some, but the surgery trauma and muscle spasms have mostly stopped.
oriolesfan

Postby hope_1234 » 27 Apr 2021, 10:13

oriolesfan wrote:I'm almost exactly in the same situation as you. 34 and had LIS almost 2 weeks ago. There initially was some significant mucous-like discharge, but it has dissipated mostly. I think that it was a combination of pus leaking from the LIS incision which was left open to "heal from the inside out" so it didn't become infected. Plus, I think I've had some minor leakage of intestinal mucous during passing gas. So far it has improved slightly every day, and I have a follow up in another week with the doctor. I have noticed that the fissure itself is still stinging some, but the surgery trauma and muscle spasms have mostly stopped.

Hey! thanks for sharing your experience. My follow up appointment is in a month and I will make sure to ask the doctor about this leakage. Good luck with your recovery and hope you'll hear some good news from your doctor. Please update after your appointment. It'll be great if you can ask your doctor what actually incontinence is and if this is considered as an incontinence. Good luck
hope_1234

Postby tight80 » 29 Apr 2021, 21:56

I dealt with leakage for months after my surgery. It was minimal, but the leakage was super frustrating and I carried small gauze pads to tuck between the cheeks and protect myself for a few hours after a BM. Learned that trick from someone else here on the boards and it was a life saver! My doctor said looser stools caused it and that taking imodium would help, but I didn't want to take any drugs. I ended up taking psyllium fiber pills for bulk and that did help. Thankfully I'm past it now and back to being super active hiking 25 miles per week with no issues. It only happens if I eat something bad or my system gets super out of whack. Be patient with your healing... and know that everything will heal and resolve itself. Best of luck to you!
tight80
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby hope_1234 » 29 Apr 2021, 22:51

tight80 wrote:I dealt with leakage for months after my surgery. It was minimal, but the leakage was super frustrating and I carried small gauze pads to tuck between the cheeks and protect myself for a few hours after a BM. Learned that trick from someone else here on the boards and it was a life saver! My doctor said looser stools caused it and that taking imodium would help, but I didn't want to take any drugs. I ended up taking psyllium fiber pills for bulk and that did help. Thankfully I'm past it now and back to being super active hiking 25 miles per week with no issues. It only happens if I eat something bad or my system gets super out of whack. Be patient with your healing... and know that everything will heal and resolve itself. Best of luck to you!

Thank you very very much for taking the time and sharing your experience. It's good to know it can be transient and that's such a relief. I used to be pretty active too and miss the gym and nature so bad. I recently heard about the gauze thing and it helps a lot for short walks or during the nights. Have a great day
hope_1234