Sitting pain only -- LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Sitting pain only -- LIS?

Postby nolongerguest » 05 Nov 2021, 14:01

Hi y'all -- long time listener, first time caller. I had my first fissure experience 5 years ago, after a bout of constipation (typical for me, wish I would have known what could happen!). I had some really frustrating experiences with doctors, saw 4 different CRSs over the course of 2.5 years. My primary symptom were always pain with sitting, a slowly growing burning pain/ache that gets worse and worse and doesn't let up until I go to sleep. Tough with an office job, any travel, going to movies or restaurants, etc. Nothing helps but heat.

The only CRS who saw the fissure was the first one I saw, about 8 weeks into this. He used a scope (which actually wasn't too bad) and said it was "mostly healed." All other docs just did visual or digital exams, couldn't see anything. The last doc I went to (Kristina Hobson, in Los Gatos CA) was by FAR the best, so kind and made me feel so comfortable. She said my fissure had healed a long time ago, I had residual muscle pain and could do exercises or try a low dose of antidepressants for the pain. I never filled the RX after that -- and was largely symptom free until....last week.

I'm normally diligent with Metamucil and take 1/4-1/2 a dose of Miralax a day, but have had to change my routine recently because Metamucil has been causing another health problem (interstitial cystitis) to flare up. That, plus a big trip where I wasn't able to follow my normal morning routine, and I've definitely given myself another fissure. My pelvis floor is big mad at me right now :(.

I have another appointment with Doctor Hobson in early December (she's very busy) and have a new rx for Rectiv I've started in the meantime. Of course I'm eating right, taking Miralax, found a psyillium husk product I can tolerate, sitz baths etc. But pretty miserable, and not eager to lose another 2.5 years of my life to this.

Has anyone whose pain is mainly caused by sitting (especially hard chairs) had immediate/quick relief from LIS? There are some older threads in the forum on this that didn't seem very hopeful. I'm not excited for surgery if it doesn't actually look like it'll resolve my main issue (and scared it'll make pain with a BM worse, mine is currently very minor -- but honestly most days would trade 10/10 pain for a few minutes for 5/10 pain for hours).

Thank you to everyone who posts here; this board made me feel so much less alone last time, even though I never posted myself!
nolongerguest

Topics: 1

Re: Sitting pain only -- LIS?

Postby patience_and_healing » 06 Nov 2021, 13:08

Hi there, I have no opinion on LIS since I've never had it but it sounds like your primary issue is pelvic floor tension. It's very common to have this along with interstitial cystitis. I would recommend you see a pelvic floor therapist, Denise Alberto in Campbell is very good. Also you could consult a doctor about getting Botox to the levators followed by physical therapy.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Rich44 » 30 Nov 2021, 01:19

nolongerguest wrote:
Has anyone whose pain is mainly caused by sitting (especially hard chairs) had immediate/quick relief from LIS? There are some older threads in the forum on this that didn't seem very hopeful. I'm not excited for surgery if it doesn't actually look like it'll resolve my main issue (and scared it'll make pain with a BM worse, mine is currently very minor -- but honestly most days would trade 10/10 pain for a few minutes for 5/10 pain for hours).

Thank you to everyone who posts here; this board made me feel so much less alone last time, even though I never posted myself!
Do you have pain around your tailbone area? Does the area become tense and painful after you have a BM? Does it go away when you sit but not without excruciating pain first? Do you feel like you are sitting on a golf ball all the time? I had all of that for a long time. It was stress. It went away when I quit my job! I still had a fissure and the LIS finally took care of that. But let me know your thoughts.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fred55 » 25 Jun 2022, 18:21

Hi nolongerguest,
That's exactly my problem! Pain when sitting! did you manage to heal , hopefully?
Fred55
Salt Bather

Postby Fred55 » 25 Jun 2022, 18:23

Rich44,
I also figured from your other posts that you healed, congrats! Any recurrence or other issues you might have experienced?
Fred55
Salt Bather

Postby Rich44 » 30 Jun 2022, 13:04

Fred55 wrote:Rich44,
I also figured from your other posts that you healed, congrats! Any recurrence or other issues you might have experienced?
Overall no issues and loving normal pain free BMs every time. I am totally normal a full year and a half later. People have to remember you WILL have fissures again but they will be acute fissures and can be taken care of with a sitz bath or two the same day (no meds needed). In spite of that I have only had a few of these little guys. I mention them because my CRS told me to expect them and not to worry. It's normal. I also will never strain to have a BM that is difficult to get out again. On a few occasions I was really stuck, I used my index finger to dig away. You cannot believe how much of a relief it is rather than pushing and pushing. It's no big deal. Thank you for asking Fred.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist