LIS Performed ten hours ago

LIS recovery experience

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Performed ten hours ago

Postby Pdice » 18 Apr 2022, 22:17

Hello everyone,
I have a long and complicated history in the downstairs region. I am a male early 40’s. My latest issues started about a year ago following a colonoscopy. My Gastroenterologist banded an internal hemorrhoid below the dentate line which I later learned is not supposed to be done. The hemorrhoid did not heal as expected but rather ulcerated. The Gastroenterologist also ripped my muscle leaving me with a fissure. The last year has been full of pain and despair. I tried the creams, Botox and some PT to no avail. This morning I had a LIS and a external hemorrhoid excised. So far I have little to no pain and have not used any of the pain meds. I have not had a BM yet but have passed some gas. I suspect the local they gave me is still active but can’t be sure. I will update my daily recovery in hopes that it brings knowledge to someone in need.
Pdice

Topics: 1

Re: LIS Performed ten hours ago

Postby Pdice » 21 Apr 2022, 18:42

So far so good. Pain during BMs is about 3/10.
Pdice

Postby Rich44 » 22 Apr 2022, 10:24

I approached post-LIS recovery with a very positive attitude. I was sure the pain wouldn't be anywhere as bad as the pain from the fissure (I was definitely right), I refused the pain killers they offered me at the hospital and once I had that first BM it was smooth sailing. Saw the CRS three weeks after surgery and he said the fissure was long gone. That was 18 months ago and I've been normal ever since. Keep us posted on your progress.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Pdice » 22 Apr 2022, 21:41

Thanks for sharing your story Rich. Today has been a little tougher but reading your post gives me inspiration.

I am pretty sure the majority of my pain today is from the excised hemorrhoid and not the LIS.
Pdice

Postby dhc » 28 Apr 2022, 21:25

Can we get an update? I had Botox three weeks ago and it seems to be working so, hopefully, I will not need LIS. Still, I like to hear how it goes in case I end up needing it. Sorry to hear you have been in pain for a year. Around 4 months for me and it has been really hard.
dhc
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2