question about examination under anaesthetic

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

question about examination under anaesthetic

Postby momo212 » 05 Sep 2022, 11:00

I've just been diagnosed (although have had severe pain for 18 months). Consultant says she wants to do examination under anaesthetic. She says if she could, she would do botox at the same time, but my health authority won't pay for it so it would be just the EUA. I have two questions which I didn't think of until after I got home:

1. If my AF is healing (I'm using rectogesic) is there a chance that poking my bum around during the examination will make it open up again?

2. Is it really necessary? She says she's 99% sure it's AF, so I wonder what the point is, but maybe there are other things she might find which would be useful?

I'm not keen on having an EUA (never had an anaesthetic in my life, a bit scared of it) but will do it if there is a good reason and it won't exacerbate my condition. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Thanks!
momo212

Topics: 3

Re: question about examination under anaesthetic

Postby Dust 2 Dust » 21 Sep 2022, 13:50

If the person performing the exam is a crs I wouldn't worry about the exam. Rectal exams are an everyday part of their job. I've had multiple exams by CRS with no tears.

Unfortunately botox didn't work for me but it might help you. It's typically the last step before surgery.
March 2022 Suffered anal fissure.

April-May 2022 Went undiagnosed because GP couldn't see the fissure.

June 1st 2022 Officially diagnosed with fissure by GI and given nefedapine.

July 2022 Botox injection under anesthesia
Dust 2 Dust
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: question about examination under anaesthetic

Postby misterouch » 21 Sep 2022, 22:37

My 2% - I went in for a second appointment after 6 weeks of topical nifedipine and some real good progress. For whatever reason, the CRS forced a scope in and reopened the fissure, it's now 6 weeks after that appointment and I'm back to where I was about 8 weeks ago. Maybe wait a little longer and see if you continue to heal?
misterouch
Fibre Addict