Intro

Pain post surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Intro

Postby Allan » 06 Oct 2022, 20:37

Hey folks
happy to find this forum. Just came out of surgery yesterday after suffering for 2 years with a fissure. Just curious what others have experienced for recovery time. My doc said he did not think the tear was that bad, but that there was afistula and a really bad hemmeriod that he “ cleaned up “. He said he had been a bit conservative because of the risk of incontinance etc .

I just had my first bowel movement ( 1 day after surgery) and while the stool’ was soft And it did not really hurt passing it, the burning after has been quite bad for about an hour now. Very similar to before the surgery. Has anyone else experienced this? I know some have commented on the burning going away right after surgery. If it’s going to take time, that’s fine, I just thought it would be a different type of pain/discomfort. My fear is the sphincter is not relaxing and he has not solved the issue.

thanks for your help and hope you are all well and recovering!
Allan
Allan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Intro

Postby Allan » 10 Oct 2022, 10:53

Update
Folks, day 5 and I wish I could report better news. These past 5 days have been the worst days of my life. The pain after each BM has been in the 9-10 range. I don’t say that lightly, I know what ten means. Before surgery I would have said the spasms were 6-8. It’s the spasms immediately after, that last for hrs. Yesterday was the first time I have cried. I don’t remember ever crying from pain. I’m emotionally and physically exhausted. Sometimes, right after, all the nerves in my entire body start twitching, like I’m in shock.

I am jumping straight into the tub, which helps, but only by 1-2 over 30 minutes.
I’m going to call the dr. Tomorrow, but has anyone had anything this bad after surgery and still gotten better? Thanks and hope are all recovering well
Allan
Allan
Fibre Addict

Postby Allan » 13 Oct 2022, 18:27

update
folks, I wish this was a more active board, but I am posting updates in the hopes it helps others going through similar circumstances

well, three days have past and honestly, it’s almost unimaginable the change. Tuesday was the first day where I noticed the pain after a BM going from A 8-9 down to a 5-7. That was big and it gave me hope. I did not really change anything, it just started to heal I assume. I have been averaging 1-2 BMs a day, so not having the pain be so dam dramatic and subsiding faster afterwards was a godsend. Still hurt, but a noticeable reduction. It’s funny how thankful you can be to have pain at a 5-7 hey? Crazy stuff….

wednesday, dramatic drop off. Down to a 4-5 and fairly short lived burning afterwards ie 30 minutes. I went off the opiates that night. Moved to Advil .

thursday, better still. A bit more pain from the surgery type feeling, but I think that’s the pain meds. The burning has gone down to similar level it was before surgery, maybe even better. Having said that, today is the first time I have tried to sit upright. that's still not happening for more than a minute or so, but still, progress. Bum still feels quite sore, I don’t want to portray this as an “ I’m all better” recovery, but givenwhere I was a few short days ago, honestly, I’m in heaven right now.

not going back to work until next week, and that will be working remotely, but I am hopeful about my recovery, and I hope, for people in those first few days of recovery that this gives you some hope. I sure relied on those type of posts when I was going through it.

wishing you all the best on your journey and recovery
Allan
Allan
Fibre Addict

Postby Allan » 17 Oct 2022, 21:50

Hey folks
4 more days have passed. So, about 12 days since surgery. Results are a bit mixed. While the burning pain after BM’s has gone down a lot, it’s been replaced by a new type of pain that is almost as bad. It‘s Like a dull ache, but strong enough to rate a 5 .
It’s in that whole anal area , it’s almost like my whole bum area is sore from straining. Yes, I still feel like I am straining almost involuntarily. It’s not as bad as it was a few days ago, but it’s still pretty prevalent every BM. I also think it’s tied to too many BMs . I’m going 2-3 times per day, the third one causes the most pain after, it lasts 2-3 hrs.

I wish I could reduce to once per day. Any advise on how I could do that without making them too hard would be appreciated. Anyway, that’s my story so far, hope it helps others . today was the first day I sat in an office chair. Did it off and on for a few hours, wasn’t great, wasn’t terrible, progress I guess.

all the best on your journey everyone
Allan
Allan
Fibre Addict

Postby Allan » 28 Nov 2022, 01:39

Folk , it’s been a month. Found upon visiting the doc that what he actually did was a full hemmeroidectomy. No wonder the pain was so bad. He said that was not the plan going in , but it was needed. He said the cut for the fissure was not needed since he was doing so much cutting!
What I would say about the pain is, it’s subsided down to where I can sit on a plane for a couple hours. I would call it uncomfortable ie a “2” on the scale. At home, I still generally try to avoid sitting a lot. More of a half lying on the couch thing.

Progress for sure, no complaints. Better than I was with the fissure for sure. I was the feeling was gone completely, but maybe that’s the best I will get. It feels like it has leveled off the past two weeks. Anyway, wanted to give a bit of an update. All the best to everyone, cheers
Allan
Allan
Fibre Addict