Lateral sphincterotomy op today!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Lateral sphincterotomy op today!!

Postby Rich44 » 30 Nov 2022, 14:05

Looking good as it should!
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Danalope » 03 Dec 2022, 03:55

Rich44 wrote:Looking good as it should!

Yes looking good Rich, 16 days on & still healing steadily, pretty much zero discomfort now, just a very mild bit of discomfort around incision still, for an hour or so after a BM, nothing more than 2/10. No discomfort other than that. Back working full time at home now, sitting on a folded duvet for comfort, still using heat packs to assist healing, GTN ointment & taking 2-3 sitz baths per day, plus a quick shower of area after a BM.

So looking good. Next challenges are back to gym for 1st time today, going to do a slow & short run to see how it feels. Will avoid sitting down exercises though like cycling for a bit longer I think. Also need to sit down on a chair with no padding, again no rush to do that so will leave till next week.
Danalope
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby patience_and_healing » 03 Dec 2022, 15:22

Good to hear you are doing better! I wish you complete healing.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Danalope » 12 Dec 2022, 10:50

Day 26:

Coming up to a month since LIS now & still generally looking good.

Finally became discomfort free around day 18/19, all was looking great & even able to wipe pretty much normally with wipes. Started back working, exercising normally & driving again. All good.

Minor setback since then. Had a team Xmas do at a venue about 4 hours drive away, felt good so drove there while sitting on a pillow. Lots of sitting down & a fair bit of alcohol later that evening! Drunk a ton of water & thankfully no issues with BM (still soft). Have had a bit of post BM discomfort & soreness since though, no problem or pain going but just a bit sore after 2/10. Had a bit of fresh blood when I wiped today also which was a bit disconcerting, though nothing on the poo itself. Think I’ve just aggregated the incision area slightly which hadn’t fully healed by doing the long journey & returning to normal behaviour.

I’d stopped the sitz baths & GTM but May start them up again for a few days until it’s back to feeling fine all of the time.

Any views/feedback appreciated, bit disconcerted by site of blood on the wipe but keeping it in perspective (or trying to).
Danalope
Salt Bather

Postby Danalope » 23 Dec 2022, 03:08

5 weeks since LIS now, overall in a reasonable place, but not fully healed yet. Think I’m about 90% there but still some minor/faint discomfort post BM, hardly anything but it’s there still, around incision area I think. Also but of blood every now and then if stool a bit larger, small streak on poo itself & on 1st wipe. Discouraging but guess area still quite sensitive post surgery so going with it for now & trying to be patient.

Seeing surgeon on 3rd Jan, hoping closer to 100% by then but either way will find out more. Hopefully the issue isn’t the original fissure still.

On the upside no spasms for weeks now & BM’s really good on whole, nice & soft but not mushy or runny. All coming out fine with no pushing needed, so can’t see why it wouldn’t heal, but guess will find out in a couple of weeks!
Danalope
Salt Bather

Postby Danalope » 04 Jan 2023, 02:26

Hi & Happy New Year everybody,

6 weeks post LIS now & saw Surgeon yesterday for 1st time post op. Good news is all healed up down there so I’m good to go.

Still get a bit of itchy discomfort post BM, nothing significant, more just a bit annoying. Surgeon said this was due to some minor ‘cratering’ of the skin down there, advised to stop using all creams & just wash the area with water post BM.

So other than an anus that resembles the surface of the moon inside, I’m good to go it seems.

Overall delighted with result, no more pain, no spasms, can exercise pain free finally!! Nice soft poos now all the time also, everything seems to move more smoothly down there now, the fissure definitely affected poo texture (hardness), surgeon says this would likely be due to the spasms.

Obviously got to be careful still & watch for new fissure, will hit any new one hard with sitz baths & GTN. Surgeon said the LIS should help any new ones from becoming chronic.

All the best
Danalope
Danalope
Salt Bather