My LIS journey

33F going through two LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My LIS journey

Postby NoName » 12 Jan 2023, 21:51

Hey all,

So finally I’m starting to heal and I thought I should post about my experience. I started experiencing fissures almost like 2 years ago and it got worse as I didn’t know it can get to this point. I was very naive. Anyways, same as you all, the prescription cream not working anymore and then recommended to have LIS. My surgery was scheduled for Dec 8. I was told not to drink or eat anything after midnight and that I can have my regular food before that. So I had a burger and fries the night before surgery and had my LIS the morning after. Pretty quick surgery, the whole thing took like 4 hours. Was back home around 3:00 PM. Again I was told to have my fiber powder and stool softener on a regular basis and no specific food. So I started eating whatever again. After two days, I had my first bowel movement and because of surgery and all the junk food I had, it was devastating. I was yelling and crying and was the worst bowel movement of my life. I believe my posterior fissure got tripled in size and I developed a new lateral fissure as well! Life became hell and I was in a 20/10 pain and I was reading all these posts on this website saying the pain is less after surgery, so I knew something is wrong! So I started a liquid diet and I felt better after like 5 days. The pain with BM was like 5/10 here which lasted for like 2 hours after. After a few days, I got surprisingly constipated again and that was when I got worse. I was suffering and crying all the time. It was terrible. So I went back to my doctor and he was like increase your fiber intake and we should give it more time cause you don’t want a second LIS because of incontinence. Anyways same pain until 4 weeks after the first surgery when I was told by my doctor I need another LIS. So he referred me to his senior and I had my second LIS on jan 6. This time I knew the drill! So minimum amount of food the day before and only fruits and veggies. Miralax, Colace, Metamucil, Prune juice on a daily basis. So I went to the surgery and got home after a couple of hours. No BM the first day but had my BM the day afterwards. Let me tell you this IT WAS WAY BETTER THAN BEFORE. Like a 3/10 pain. That’s when I knew the surgery worked. I’m almost a week after and feel really good. I can sit for short periods of time and fissure pain gone. I only took 4 narcotics pills after my surgery and I didn’t need it no more. A couple of ibuprofen and then nothing. I’d like to point out a few things here that might be helpful for those having a LIS:
1. Make sure you start Miralax a few days before the surgery as you can be extremely constipated due to the surgery.
2. Take Metamucil instead of Benefiber. Seems like benefiber is not that good.
3. Take Colace with every meal. I’m taking 2 per meal right now.
4. Prune juice day and evening.
5. Eat fiber rich foods! Don’t eat junk food. You need to eat healthy fiber rich food for at least six weeks. I know it can be hard but trust me you have to. Some fiber rich items: pear, broccoli, apple, artichoke, avocado. Although beans are high in fiber, don’t eat them until a week after surgery because of the bloating.
6. Try liquid diet for 2-3 days post-op. But no sugar rich juices. Healthy and natural juices.
7. Get a bidet before going into surgery. Having BM while the water is running to that area helps a lot. I have been doing it in the shower while the shower head is on and spraying on the area. My landlord doesn’t let me to have a bidet. Trust me the running water is like a miracle.
8. Make sure you take a sitz bath at least 20 minutes after BM. Very important.
Finally, my last advice, the situation with anal fissures is no joke and it can make your life hell. Try ti be healthier and eat plenty of veggies and fruits. I’m working to change my lifestyle to a healthier version cause I know, the fissure can come back. Also if you have constipation issues, make sure you visit a GI. There are medications for the condition. I have an appointment next week. We’ll let you know how it’ll go.
Lots of love and prayers for those going through this. Stay strong.
NoName
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: My LIS journey

Postby Danalope » 14 Jan 2023, 13:04

That’s great news NoName, hopefully a smooth recovery this time for you. Don’t be surprised if you have the odd down day still, my progress was erratic, seemed to stall a few times before resuming.

Keep up the fibre intake though, chia seeds are quite useful, tbsp on yoghurt or cereal gives you 5g of fibre, 2 lots gives you third of recommended daily intake! Sounds like a bit of work to do on diet to prevent constipation episodes in future.

8 weeks post my surgery & I’m in a great place now, completely discomfort free & enjoying post fissure life, sounds like you’re well on the way there yourself, but keep up the fibre intake, don’t think a 3rd surgery is an option!

Best of luck.
Danalope
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: My LIS journey

Postby NoName » 15 Jan 2023, 17:19

Thank you so much Danalope for sharing your success with me. Life without fissures seems amazing. Hopefully everyone gets there.
NoName
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4