Trying to get pregnant with chronic fissure

Chronic fissures and when to consider surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Trying to get pregnant with chronic fissure

Postby GrrrAF » 27 May 2023, 17:11

Hi Hazey123,

Ha "Eek" was what I think I said to my physiotherapist when she first showed me dilators whole kit especially the extra large ! I did work up to large with two fingers and think will suffice as two fingers are about girth of poop now. I saw video saying large soft poop is best for fissures I guess to open the anus fully? The bleeding is worse now than when I had excruciating spasms so don't know why that is? or if I have new problem now:( or is it since so much scar tissue with time keeps tearing? Yep wish I go back to normal too:( I hope to get a better idea where things are at with CRS soon.

Thanks for the chat:)
GrrrAF
Fibre Addict

Postby Hazey123 » 29 May 2023, 14:14

Hi GrrrAF
When do you see your CRS? I see mine Thursday. I so hope that there may be some healing after 6 weeks of hideous dilating. I can’t believe my life has come to this!!! It doesn’t feel loads better maybe a bit. But you never know he might be able to see progress. It’s a mystery as the pain can remain after it’s healed so it’s hard to tell. I never bleed no idea why even tho it hurts a lot. Good luck with your appt.
AF following skin tag surgery Feb 2022
GTN ointment
sigmoidoscopy & EUA Sept 2022 no fissure found
2nd opinion Jan 2023 fissure diagnosed, diltiazem - allergic
recommended Botox Fissurectomy
3rd opinion - dilation 2x per day plus GTN ….
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby AF3 » 03 Jun 2023, 13:56

Hi All ( Hi Hazey!!),
I am trying those breathing exercises and they absolutely help. And Rich44 has said throughout (I must have read all the posts in desperation over the last few months), its the overall stress that makes things worse. And then the stress from the fissure causes a vicious cycle.

Has anyone experienced a skin-tag that developed over the fissure (as it heals), which keeps filling up after a BM? I had a small one pre-Botox which the day after Botox, kept filling up and subsiding throughout the day. This went on for 3 months with very little let up. It meant that every morning I would need to lie down for at least an hour or more until it reduced in size and somedays it just did not go down.

My CRS takes no notice of it and each time I have gone to see her, it has been annoyingly small (ish). She has told me repeatedly its a skin tag, but the last time I saw her she said it might be inflammation at the injection site - the injection was Feb 2 and today is June 2. Over the past 4 weeks I have experienced some relief as the tag was a) not filling as much; b) settling down in less than an hour. I thought progress was being made, but two days ago, it filled up, and did not subside the whole day and that has continued to happen. It is literally driving me crazy as my CRS does not seem to take any note of it, but it keeps me from walking properly and my life has once again come to a grinding halt.

As anyone had this? And connected to botox? I would be really grateful if anyone had anything to share. Sometimes I think this whole fissure, tag, pile, swelling will drive me insane!!!
AF3
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Hazey123 » 04 Jun 2023, 03:01

Hi AF3 I have a large skin tag in the same position as my fissure. No idea if it’s related to the fissure although now I think it may be. When you say filling up do you mean swelling up? Mine does this and varies in size a lot. I find it’s much more swollen when I have greater fissure pain and when I have a good day it’s less so. I have read others on here found theirs went down after the fissure healed. Not totally but significantly. Do you use any creams? I found diltiazem caused my tags to swell massively, they got so big and uncomfortable but it was an allergic reaction and they went down after I stopped the cream. I started this whole misery because of skin tags and I still have them!!! I hate them but doctors don’t care about them. Getting rid of them is way too risky. I haven’t had Botox tho so I’ve no idea about injection sites. Did Botox help you? My doc seems to think it will be of minimal benefit to me and the trauma to the anus of having it will potentially cause me more pain.
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Postby AF3 » 04 Jun 2023, 03:19

Hi Hazey123,

Yes I mean swelling. The tags existed above the fissure and my CRS explained to me that as the fissure healed, the tag would form. Prior to the Botox, the tag was there but it didn't swell - post Botox was when the swelling started, right after a BM. I thought somehow that the Botox caused it to swell up and that the swelling would subside with the Botox, but that's not happening. I was on Diltiazem, which I can tolerate, which the CRS told me to stop about 2 weeks ago. I was asked to continue with a barrier cream - I was using coconut oil but CRS suggested Metanium - when the skin tag started to hurt two days ago, I thought maybe Metanium was irritating it but I'm now not sure I've got the causality correct. I think what caused the tag to swell and stay swollen (and be sensitive unlike earlier) was that the fissure may have re-opened slightly. I increased my protein intake (and fibre) and think it wasn't the best decision as maybe the stool was too bulky!!

As I'm writing this, I'm laughing because this one unusual Sunday summer morning topic :-D

My CRS says there is no point in getting rid of tags as they are very likely to cause fissures - and unfortunately that seems to have been your experience.

Botox did help me, as the fissure healed during that time (CRS confirmed). However I have struggled with relaxing in general and have had a poor habit of consciously tensing up during a BM thinking I shouldn't let it all come out at full speed (apologies for the detail, but its necessary....) and that process was going counter to the sphincters opening up. So due to that poor decision (driven mainly by fear but turning out to be counter-productive), the fissure opened up slightly again (that was a month+ ago; I had Botox in Feb2023 and it lasted until mid-May). It did not cause any extra pain, my biggest fear around it was the lack of ability to control the urge and having to run to a toilet. I have IBS as well so that did NOT help!!! If anything, the Botox caused more stress because of the IBS but I got past it.

I realized through that process that yes the Botox helps, but 'bad' habits need to be corrected first or alongside, else the Botox will not help as what happened to me. And the most important thing is relaxation and handling of stress. If that can become a big part of your life, I believe you can be healed of this fissure. There will always be setbacks like mine above - a little too much fibre and boom. The trick is however to get back on the healing path.

From what you say (and what I've read over a few days), the tags seem to swell up for people post BM. I am seeing them as a litmus test of how the fissure healing is progressing. And live in the hope that one day soon, the tag will have gone away completely or be so small that it's really only a tiny bit of excess skin and no longer a signal that the fissure is still active.
AF3
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Hazey123 » 04 Jun 2023, 06:09

I really do find that my tags swell if I’m allergic to something. I have been sensitive to diltiazem and also some lubricants so I’ve had repeated horrible pain and swelling with mine. Worst was diltiazem - I tolerated it for months then suddenly allergic. Vaseline is a good barrier cream with nothing added. My CRS recommends using this to protect against Bms. Maybe just use this for a bit to see if the swelling settles. The skin down there is so sensitive for all of us that even the barrier cream might be setting them off. My tags have gone right down as I’ve found what sets them off. Plus my fissure is a bit better but I had the same issue last night a very fast BM that I tried to control. Bit sore today sigh….
Interesting re Botox at least you know this works for you but I understand the IBS stress with it. Also I can’t add big fibre like I took fibogel made things so much worse huge BM nightmare. I eat fruit and veg and bran in the morning plus my sachet of Movicol in the morning and a swig of Lactulose at night. Works well so far. Much better than fibogel or stool softeners for me
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather