Pain Management

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Pain Management

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 19:58

How do people manage their pain enough to function on a day to day basis? Image

Re: Pain Management

Postby Guest » 26 Apr 2007, 20:04

I didn't very well. I had to adapt my routine to the pain. That meant having enough time in the morning to go to the bathroom and get in the tub. I also had to and have to try to decrease the amount of sitting time.
Advil seemed to help as an analgesic. I would take 4 (200 mg) pills after I went to the bathroom in the morning to get me through the worst of it. I was also on a low dose of narcotics too. (This can be constipating so I had to really watch it)
There is a different kind of pain relief that is prescription only that helped-Ultram extended release. You might ask you doctor about it. It dissolves slowly so you really only need to take 1 a day. It is related to aleve which is OTC. You could try that as well.
But much of the time I was just hurting but it did get better! And yours will too.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 26 Apr 2007, 20:38

Everyone's pain is so different, in some respect or other, that management is probably the hardest thing to pin down. Certainly each day, say at work or school, you have to avoid the situations that require you to sit during spasms, or even drive after a BM, depending on the severity. Stress can bring on a spasm if it hasn't been too long since the BM. So you have to avoid that.
The truth is that real pain management comes with the lifestyle changes (and other conservative measures) that slowly but surely lead to less pain and hopefully healing. As Lecia stated, some find a bit of relief through analgesics. Narcotic type pain killers can be your worst enemy because of how they affect your digestive system.
When my fissure was truely active and hurting a lot, really, all *I* could do was bear it and double up on my efforts to eat right, drink water, use my nefedipine cream, take 3 warm baths a day,
and setting goals for how long I could endure the day to day misery before I caved in and had the surgery.
And try to never sit directly on you anus during the first half of the day! That was something I HAD to do to make it through the day. Pretty darn obvious, but it was my biggest defense. If I could stay off me arse, things generally weren't too bad!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 07:23

Are Advil and Aleve ok to take? I'm worried that any pain killer I take will cause constipation!!

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 08:43

Good Morning,
Yes, the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and aleve (naproxen sodium) are fine to take and will not cause constipation. My CRS recommended both of these and said it could also help as an anti-inflammatory too.
I also took some Ultram extended release from time to time if I had a long day to get through. It is prescription only but it a non-narcotic pain reliever. You might ask about it!

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 09:09

Thanks Lecia!

Postby buttgirl » 02 Jul 2007, 12:19

I sit on a heating pad. when I spasm/clench really bad, that seems to take the edge off. it also increases blood flow to the area, which helps healing.

I found a AC/DC car adapter at radioshack so that I can plug the heating pad directly into my dash and sit on the pad even while driving.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby pafen » 20 Oct 2014, 19:22

I am interested to hear what works for people. I am currently taking a slow release version of tramadol. I am also using a heat pad at night and daily dilation therapy.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8