Magnesium Citrate

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Magnesium Citrate

Postby Jen » 21 Aug 2008, 09:05

Hi Buddies! Image
Tonight, at 5 pm, I have to start drinking a small bottle of mag citrate (10 oz) in preperation for LIS. Has anyone had to do this? Is it as bad as the golightly? Can I mix it with orange juice to hide the flavor? The doctor did not put me on any presurgery diet, just the mag citrate and no eating/drinking for 8 hours prior so I am assuming I can mix it with whatever I want.
How often do you have a bowel movement after drinking it? Will I be pooping all night?
Thanks guys!
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Magnesium Citrate

Postby Jo » 21 Aug 2008, 09:43

Hi Jen,
I think that is what I took last summer after my surgery cause I was having some trouble going. It certainly made me go! It did cause diahrrea for awhile, at least a day or two. I didn't even finish the complete bottle, maybe 3/4. It didn't taste bad, I think I had cherry. I didn't mix it with anything, kind of tasted like soda, but sour. You should make sure it is cold.
It gave me some cramps, but things like that really bother my insides. It really wasn't too bad. You shouldn't be going as much as the g-stuff.
Hope it all goes well for you.
Good luck!
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Deleted User 5 » 21 Aug 2008, 10:08

I think that is what I used prior to my LIS, and it wasn't NEARLY as bad as the golytly!!! I didn't go all that much...
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 21 Aug 2008, 12:08

Hi Jen - buddy Image First of all - the best of luck baby tomorrow Image Image Image - all will be just a breeze - LIS is really nothing in compression to a fissure torture - you will wake up and ask the nurse when will they finally take you in Image ! It is done in 20 min total - 5 min actual surgery. You will heal in no time- you will be surprised - I was !!!! Don't let the weird cases of handful of us put any doubts in your mind - 98% people heal fast and forever after the LIS Image Image - and there is no reason in this world it would not be you. It is just that we will miss you tremendously here when you spread your golden wings and fly away free of this nightmare - but we expect that - that is our goal !!!! :sprinkleheart:
Wishing you FANTASTIC luck once more and you know that all of us will be with you around that table Image , sending best vibes and prayers !!!
XOXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Jen » 21 Aug 2008, 23:03

Hi guys -
I just wanted to let you and anyone else who has ever wondered, that the mag citrate is not bad at all. It is just how Jo described it, sour & fizzy. I actually mixed mine with OJ, but I really did not need to.
I drank it at five pm. It is now 10 pm and I have not had a BM!!!!! Image Image Image What the heck??? The bottle says it usually produces a BM in 6 hours. I guess I am not going to have one. I am getting worried because of something I ate today. You see, I knew I was going to drink a laxative, so I went off my fissure diet, which is something I NEVER do. I bought a chocolate pie at lunch and had a piece. I made a huge pig out of myself, and had piece number 2 at dinner. I know - I totally made a pig out of myself, but I figured it was coming out anyway and I never eat anything unhealthy so it was a real treat. My husband came home from work and saw the pie in the fridge and laughed - he knew I bought the pie as a LIS treat. Image
I want to poo soon. I am afraid the pie will come out badly!!! Image
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Aug 2008, 00:52

Hi sweetie - it is 11:48 pm, I just kind of really got awake finally - whatever they gave me I want to have at my home LOL for occasional nice slumber ; ))) !!! I came home at 5:30 and went strait to bad and slept till recently and and still groggy which is great - can't wait to finally sleep it all off !
I hope your pooping started by now !?! I can imagine how worried you are now - but know what - I just had enema before LIS and it was perfectly fine and enough ! Surgery is really minor and short and they don't even go inside the anus so simple enema is enough if it comes to that ! So, don't worry now buddy, all will be just fine ! If you do not poop till morning - call and say what happened and they will give you directions of what to do.
Just stop eating or drinking ANYTHING after midnight - they are alway very finicky about that. With all of the rest they can deal without a problem.
At what time is your surgery ??? I will be awake tonight till 12:30 probably so write if you have any more questions baby-doll - OK ??!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby val » 22 Aug 2008, 04:34

Fissy, how did it go? are you ok? Glad you're able to check in with us. I bet you're glad that's over! :)
Jen, I'm sure the chocolate pie will be fine, you deserve a treat before surgery! Good luck, it will soon be over, and can look forward to healing and having your life back. :)
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Aug 2008, 16:29

I am OK BUDDY !!!! Don't you worry about me , sweetness :sprinkleheart: !!!
My butt survived all of that pooping and probing and is just little burning there, but it was there before so nothing alarming Image ! That is my fissure having some fun - but just wait next week when she gets kicked out by kong-foo laser dude - a-yaaaaaa, a-saaaaaaa, ugh - haaaaaaaa!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeah !!!! She will be fast dropped in specimen container (he he heeeee) so I can have it in a special vault where it will be hidden for the eternity - Image and only truly wicked person will be able to find it and open it and it will jump out and punish him till the end of his days Image
I am so sorry that you have to wait till next week for results Image , but at least you did it buddy - and it is a miracle by itself Image ! Take those Demerols as candies Image , what the heck - we deserve some high with all of that we endured Image !!!!
Love you buddy - hold on - you are so strong - it is unbelievable Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby happyass » 23 Aug 2008, 11:38

cvs/walgreens makes a great soda pop version of this mag citrate drink. just keep it in the fridge to get nice and cold, and it's like having fizzy pop.
it comes in lime, orange, and cherry.
i have a bottle left over in my fridge from awhile back.
now i have to find something soothing to take for my creaky knees and joints from all this training.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74