Moving toward Surgery?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Moving toward Surgery?

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 13:37

Well, today has been another bad day.
BM at 8:05 BUrned like crazy right after.
soaked in tub til 9:10 pain pretty well went away; showered ate breakfast (raisin bran) By 9:45 spasms started and I was in excruciating pain til about 2:00 pm soaked in the tub the most of the time . I took 4 advil at 10 am. seemed to do very little good.
I have put a call in to the Surgeon. I don't expect he can do anything , but I want to let him know today that I would like all the help he can give me to get this surgery scheduled as soon as possible.
Although the pain has let up today I can hardly stand the thought of going through this whole thing again tomorrow. My wife figures that if I wait til my appt. on Wed. They will not recognize the extreme severity of the pain.
It is to a point that I really don't like any one around so they don't hear me moaning etc.... Particularly my children.
Wish me luck on getting something scheduled sooner rather than later.
God Bless All and good Luck!!

Re: Moving toward Surgery?

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 13:44

Yes, good luck. How awful this pain is! I can't stand to think about you moaning and hurting so bad. I think you are right to discuss this sooner rather than later. I know your family must be hurting so much for you right now.
I hate that dreading too of the morning and going to the bathroom. That is not any way to have to live.
Keep us updated on when you hear back from the surgeon.
Lecia

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 14:15

The surgeon called back .
I told Him to mark me down as a medical failure.
That I was in excruciating pain for from 4 to 6 hours per day and that I just wanted him to help me get the surgery scheduled as soon as possible. (amidst apologizing for bothering him today)
He said:
No problem he is between surgeries(he is on call in his group today )
He said call his office 1st thing in the am and tell them I talked with him today . T put me on his schedule at the office after surgery jtomorrow. He wants to see me to see if there is something that needs to be done "acutely" (what ever that means). If not he will schedule the surgery as soon as (something like i can get prepared)
What preparation has to be done?
I cannot tell you how thankful I am that my wife convinced me to call him today and that he will see me tomorrow.
I prayed a lot today (i went to early early mass without eating or drinking anything so I would be able to get through it without having to go to the bathroom . Sure as shooting w/in 5 minutes after i got home off to the Bathroom I went. Any way I prayed at church and I rrreeaally prayed in the tub for relief or direction on what to do to get rtelief.
This whole thing is sooo hard on my wife ...she wants to make it better soooo bad and can't. And when I am in the midst of the worst of it I tend to not want any one to see me or hear me llike that.
Praise God for his Mercy and his help .(believe it or not I am not a religious fanatic. But I do believe we need to give God Credit for all that HE does.(which is everything)

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 14:26

Hey,
I totally know how you feel! This whole ordeal makes me sound like a religious fanatic but like I told another poster when you are going through such a rough time you have to hold on to God with all you've got and not let go because otherwise complete despair will take over.
I am thankful that the doctor called back today. I am actually astounded! That must be God working for you right there! So you are to go in tomorrow to do a pre-op consult? By acute, he probably wants to see if something new and sudden has developed since he has seen you that needs immediate attention. You know you are in bad shape when you are begging for surgery!!!!!
I know how hard this is. As I have mentioned I have had chronic pelvic pain for 4 years. It has gotten much better (Praise God!) but there was a period of about 9 months when I didn't eat until 3 pm so I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom because the pain would be so bad. I figured if I could wait until then I would only have a few more hours until my husband got home so he could take the baby. That is no way to live. There wasn't much that could be done with my situation that I wasn't already doing but in your case I am glad that there is a way that you can get some relief.
Just hang in there and let us know how tomorrow goes!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 15:08

Lecia,
I cannot fathom how you suffered through this sort of thing so long. This whole ordeal has given me a whole new empathy for people suffering with pain. I had always been a kind of a pull yourself up by your bootstraps guy. I feel really bad for what bad pain (this or some other kind for that matter) people can have. I have abetter feelling for the FACT that pain can be and is debilitating. Hopefully mine is resolvable, many people have ailments that do not provide any quick fix for the pain. I hope to come away from this with a greater dedication to praying for the aid of others who are suffering pain of all kinds. There have been times these last few weeks that the despair was as hard or harder to deal with than the physical pain(and it was and is horrendous)
Thanks again to all
God Bless and Good Luck!!

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 15:15

Yes, it certainly does develop empathy for the suffering doesn't it? I was pretty new to physical suffering when this all happened to me. I prided myself on being indepedent and not needing help to do things and this has stripped me of any pride that I had and has humbled me tremendously. But yes, more importantly, is to feel for others who suffer as Christ does and pain teaches us to do that. What a lesson to learn!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 Apr 2007, 16:50

Hey MB,
I am very happy today! There's apparently going to be one person in the world who will not go through the seven months of torture I did! Bravo for you! I could tell in your previous posts that this thing was ruining your life even more than it did mine! Its why I tried not to give you any false hope; while people can heal, too many of us can't without serious intervention. Why? Because we really cannot change our lifestyle to accomodate the fissure. You still have to work and have a huge spread an family to attend to. I had two jobs and a large family to attend to. But for so many months, there was no one I could turn to for reasonable advice. Absolutely NO ONE! Finally in November, Cheryl graciously invited me to be on this forum, and it truely made a difference with me. I saw that surgery was *NOT* as risky as I was told *IF* you have a good surgeon -- and DON'T have other, underlying, complicating conditions that *COULD* cause incontinence.
I have seen some examples on this board of sloppiness...at least, in my opinion, *I* would not have done the surgery the way the poster said it was done. BEWARE!
Also beware that the recovery will most like be more iniimidating than the hospital experience, more like to have ups and downs -- but many of the issues I have seen post-surgery were the same with most all of us, in other words, they are to be expected, the Dr.s just didn't warn us!
Are you overweight or diabetic? These are the only two "at risk" factors for incontinence from the surgery. It's only anecdotal information, though. Ask your Dr. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know!
But if your recovery is similar to mine, you'll be amazed at how fast the pain will go away, especially those spasms: they'll be gone as soon as the "cut" is made.
God bless you!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007, 18:31

I cannot tell you guys what Godsends you have been. This forum has helped me and is helping me tremendously. The surgeon I am using has been practicing for 20 years or more and he told me that he has treated about 1000 anal fissures. As you may recall he told me from the get go that he wanted to try and treat this thing medically first; he pointed out that there is a risk of incontinence, I do not recall the conversation real well but I got the impression he emphasized incontinence to gas.
He is well thought of by my GP so I hope he knows what he is doing. He is also well thought of by the gastroenterologist that my GP sent me to. So , I hope and pray that he is one of the good ones. If he is any where close on his figure of 1000 that means somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 every week or so.
I am dreading tomorrow morning and the pain it will bring so badly, bbbbuuuut I am looking forward to seeing the surgeon and hopefully get this thing taken care of soon. I wonder if there is any chance they might cut on me this week. How wonderful that would be, eh.
I am not real overweight today i weighed 197 and i stand about 6ft.1in. I am not diabetic.
But as I told you guys yesterday I figure if need ber I can work in a diaper but I cannot work with this pain.
Every one at my work thinks I am out with back trouble. There are very few people that I have felt comfortable enough to tell the true nature of my ailment to.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 Apr 2007, 18:57

Well, my friend, you won't have to work in no stinkin' diaper!!
I had some mild incontinence to gas for a few weeks after the surgery. A couple days after the surgery, I thought i had gas and did mess myself, because I had taken laxatives, and it was so close to the surgery and all. Right after the surgery, for a day or two, you may have some minor leakage -- I really didn't except that one major incident I just told you about.
I hope you can get this done as soon as you want!
Take care, buddy!
Deleted User 5