3 days post surgery update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 days post surgery update

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 19:35

3 days after my surgery and I am doing well. Sore/uncomfortable but really not bad! When I sit up there is some pain but nothing like the pain I suffered when I had fissures. I had my first BM this morning (48 hours after surgery) and it went really well. Nothing to be scared of!! Of course it was not without some discomfort but was nothing like the pain I have been suffering from with my AF for over a year. With my AF it felt like I was pooping out barbed wire/glass...2 days post surgery it was nothing like that. No ring of fire, no stabbing pain....a cake walk. Afterwards I jumped in the tub, with epsom salts, and during my soak realized I had to go again. Pretty watery second bm but that was ok. A little more sore after the second time but still very manageable.
I have been drinking tons of fluids and eating light- broth, jello, high fiber toast with avocado, mangos, strawberries mixed with yogurt, cream of buckwheat, pineapples, guava juice. Taking 1 colace per night, and a little Metamucil (I can't overdo with that stuff...I took it twice yesterday and think I will just take it once tonight).
I stopped the Tylenol with codeine yesterday, didn't want to constipate. I am on advil-tylenol alternating the two every 6 hours. It is doing enough to control the pain/discomfort. I would say that the pain is a 3 on a 10 point scale....very manageable! Much better than I expected! I'm feeling much better today then I did yesterday too
Oh, and NO bleeding! I'm shocked! My fissure had stopped bleeding before surgery anyway, and I have to assume the surgical cut is starting to heal. I had some bleeding on the pad the first day but since then have had no bleeding, even after I went to the bathroom. I was shocked about that. I have actually been not wearing any pants because I want to air everything out, so I walk around in my robe all day to heal.
The surgery experience was good, the hardest part was getting the IV in my arm. they had a hard time hitting a vein. I did go under and it was nice to wake up with the procedure done. The doc said he put 3 stitches in and that my fissure was super tiny....I knew that and it kept healing on its own and re-opening, which is why I went ahead with the surgery. The day after surgery was the worst pain so far, but really only hit a 4 on the pain scale.

I've been doing lots of sitz baths and just relaxing. I hope I keep feeling this good, by the end of the week I should be up and around no problem!
And another thing, no loose stool or accidents, and I have had a bit of gas. I'm very pleased about that news!
Just another encouraging story from this great board! I'm happy to answer any questions for those considering surgery!
Suzy

Re: 3 days post surgery update

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 May 2007, 20:09

I have actually been not wearing any pants because I want to air everything out, so I walk around in my robe all day to heal.

You know, actually, that is probably quite a good idea...you're avoiding a certain amount of additional friction, too.
Oh, and NO bleeding! I'm shocked!
Well, if you *do* bleed over the next couple weeks, don't be too alarmed. Your fissure is only now beginning the 6-8 week healing journey and fissures are notoriously unreliable and finicky. Keep that in mind if and when you see a little blood.
And another thing, no loose stool or accidents, and I have had a bit of gas.
In a couple months you can lower you fiber if you want and lower the methane content of your room! Won't that be nice!
And Suzy, we *do* appreciate your offer to answer questions about surgery -- please feel free to step into any surgery discussion and offer your input. It may make a huge difference for someone!
Healing vibes headed your way!
Kim
Last edited by Deleted User 5 on 02 May 2007, 20:36, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 20:18

That is great Suzy! I am so glad you are doing so well. It is so reassuring for others to hear success stories like yours so they aren't so scared about it and that they don't have to live with such pain.
Thank you for contributing and offering to stick around and be available to share with others! We need you!
Keep healing and let us know how you are doing!
L.

Postby Guest » 02 May 2007, 22:32

Thanks you guys! I know this will be a process but I'm glad that so far it has been as good of an experience as I could have hoped for. Will keep you posted!
Suzy

Postby Guest » 04 May 2007, 11:04

Suzy,
I guess you would say that I am 3 days post surgery today. About 50 hours. I actually feel more sore today than I did yesterday. That may be due to having done to much yesterday. I took an hour and a1/2 round trip auto ride to a funeral home and stood there for another 35 minutes or so. I was hurting pretty good by the time that I got home. However, the discomfort and pain that I am experiencing is nothing like the AF pain(although there was a bit of burn with a loose BM this morning, but not as bad or even in the same laeague that it was in prior to the surgery) or the Spasming pain that I was experiencing every day prior to the LIS. No, this pain is more like normal pain and soreness from surgical wound as it heals.
HOw is your recovery coming along today? I hope it is doing well.

Postby Guest » 04 May 2007, 11:14

Hi MB,
Thanks for your update, i'm sorry you are hurting but it is to be expected, especially since you pushed yesterday (understand why you did).
I'm doing pretty well, still sore and have pain/discomfort when I move (roll over, sit up, adjust). When i am standing still or lying back i'm ok . I was doing better daily and then yesterday evening started to have more pain. I had a large BM this morning which hurt (hurt more then the other 2 I have had which were more liquidy) and had bleeding for the first time since Monday but it was only a little bit. I'm not bleeding at all during the day, just that one time this morning after my bm.
So i'm hurting and hope the pain goes away soon. I know it will, it will just take time. I was hoping by this point to not be hurting but i guess it will take more time. I am focusing on sticking to my diet and hopefully tomorrow's bm will not be painful like todays.
I'm still happy I did the surgery, even though the discomfort is constant, it really is only a 3 or 4 on a pain scale so no big deal! I am just alternating tylenol and advil because i don't want to constipate myself with heavy drugs

Postby Guest » 04 May 2007, 14:56

Hey Suzy,
I couldn't agree more on the surgery. Although this recovery has some pain associated with it, it is easy kapeasy compared to the AF pain and the spasming in particular.
Sorry to hear that you are having some difficulty and I hope and pray it eases up on you very soon. Be sure and driink plenty of water I have been drinking about a gallon a day. I think that is helping to keep things moving smoothly along with the colace and mirralax I am taking.
Hang in there and God Bless All!!