Body Funk and Thanksgiving

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Body Funk and Thanksgiving

Postby small_flower » 25 Nov 2008, 13:19

My body has been in a huge funk lately.
First, as many of you know, I don't have health insurance right now, so I was skipping doses of my anti-anxiety meds, which was probably the stupidest thing I've done in awhile, so I was fighting off panic attacks, and that has resolved...
Then, my tummy was messed up for a couple of days. There was a stomach flu going through the classroom I was working in, and I had a touch of it, but nothing serious. I would actually be woken up by the need to go to the bathroom in the morning, and it was always soft, but never developed into diarrhea. I finally fought that off...
Now, it seems that I'm constipated or something? I am not exactly sure what is going on. I THINK i was constipated this past weekend, because I didn't go at my normal times. Normally if I don't go one day, and I've been doing all those wonderful things that I'm supposed to, then I'll go the next day at my regular time, but this didn't happen this time. I have not been drinking enough water I think, and now things are starting to come around again, but I can definitely tell that I have hurt my fissure a little bit. Bending down or certain movements make me feel it. Luckily I am not in constant, or considerable, pain.
I also found out that I have a yeast infection (pretty sure of this although the walk in clinic didnt have the equipment necessary to making that diagnosis). So, since I used to suffer from these infections chronically, I am very scared that these infections might be making a comeback. :(
Last night was awful, and I left work early today to see the doc. He gave me diflucan, which hasnt worked in the past, but since I havent had a big infection in the last 6 years or so, maybe it will this time.
So, now I have to try to balance my fissure diet, with a lower sugar diet. I am also curious about thanksgiving tomorrow. How are you all planning on meeting your fiber needs tomorrow? Im a bit worried about it myself...
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Body Funk and Thanksgiving

Postby happyass » 25 Nov 2008, 14:31

oh kate...sounds like you just need to have some one-on-one with yourself. maybe you have been working too hard or got into a worry spell when skipping your anti-anxiety meds.....perhaps that is what caused your chain reaction as some meds have constipation as side-effect and when you got off them or were not using it regularly, you developed some stomach issues.
i know when i tried to get off cymbalta i felt like i came down with a real bad flu - my body ached, my eyes were watery and felt scratchy and yet dry all at the same time, and i just felt ill. amazing what getting off cold turkey does.....but as soon as i got back on the bandwagon, everything sorted itself out.
anyway, maybe thanksgiving should be a treat day for all!!!! forget special diets and what not, and just enjoy the one day with all the great fixings and whatever you have planned for eating. take it in all moderation. chew all your food up nicely so that it gets digested properly and drink enough water with lots of veggies.
i won't be worried on thanksgiving about what i will eat. but i will be thankful.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby SunshineHope » 25 Nov 2008, 18:15

Aww, Kate, I feel your pain. I've noticed my anal problems seem to heighten when I'm going through days with several anxious periods or with a lot of stress. I think it's so so unfair that you can't take your anti anxiety medications because of their cost. You should really give yourself some alone time to unwind and relax everyday. Because of a huge entrance exam I'm currently working on (and school applications), along with work stress, traveling stress, fissure stress, family stress, etc., I've been having some anxiety attacks here and there as well. What helps me is to meditate everyday and to also have "silent sessions" where I just sit alone, quiet, crossed legged, eyes shut, and focus on my breathing. It sometimes helps to focus on a mantra or one word. It could be anything that makes you feel calm, complete, whole. This has realllly helped me relax myself. You could also try getting some scented oils to help you relax throughout the day (to put on your temples, neck, wrist, etc.). Always remember to breath deeply as often as you can and whenever you find yourself in a rut. Fissure problems can certainly be heightened by stress and anxiety, so it's important to take care of yourself in all aspects: physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. even if spiritually just means reminding yourself "I am peace, I am whole, I am strength, I am love" or whatever floats your boat. Image hehe :) One woman I know repeated "me and God, God and me are one" countlessly on the day she was giving birth... She said it was just a random mantra she heard but it helped her calm down so much. Even if you just talk to yourself and tell yourself you'll be fine, you're fully capable, etc. I think it will help you de stress.
My interpretation of your body funk is... stress and anxiety and the toll that can take on your body. I have heard of some natural yeast infection remedies: applying yogurt, or 1 part vinegar to 8 parts water, etc. This has worked for me in the past. Be sure to eat yogurt as it can help clear up the infection.
I think you should try to indulge a bit on Thanksgiving, it'll make you feel a lot better. Just remember your limits and take a bit of extra stool softener or laxative. Try to hydrate yourself, maybe buy one of those big 1 L reusable bottles that you can take everywhere. I think it'll all take time to clear out, but remember to take care of yourself hun !! You deserve to treat yourself. Do whatever helps you feel calm. Sometimes, the littlest things can make all the difference - even if it's a new body wash or foot scrub, or a new lavender plant by your bed to help you sleep better... You can and will feel better.. Just take it one step at a time and remember, you will pass this by. Take care Image you can do it.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby small_flower » 25 Nov 2008, 18:59

Thanks for the replies.
I think my plan for now consists of a few things.
After tomorrow's work is done:
a) relax as much as possible from Thursday through Sunday
b) get back to drinking my water (mom just bought me a new stainless steel water bottle that i love!)
c) cut my sugar intake and start taking acidophilus regularly (just in case, this gives the yeast less to feed on, although i hate having to take ANOTHER pill)
As for thanksgiving, I am going to try to have a little bit of everything, and that is usually enough for me! You would be surprised at how quickly your plate fills up. Its just going to be my parents, brother, and grandma, so i should be able to just eat and relax, especially if I help do the cooking, then I wont have to clean up.
As for my anxiety meds, I just recently enrolled in a program through CVS that lets you get your generic meds 90 at a time for 10 dollars, which is great! Its a bit late, but hey...I have my medicine and I won't have to worry about it again. I am back to taking it normally, and will continue to do so.
I think that if I simply had time to be, and I was well rested, that I could put my life back together one piece at a time, but not many of us have that leisure. I think my anxiety stems from my ADD. ADD with anxiety is a subtype of ADD and its characterized by needlessly worrying. I worry about my health a lot. I am simply paranoid. Its always me hoping that bad things a,b, and c don't happen, and living in fear that they may. I am thinking about going back to a therapist once I get insurance, to see if I can get a hold on all this worrying. It drives my stress level up quite a bit, I'm sure.
Well, its time for me to go. I have to shower, take my medicine and get to bed early again.
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby happyass » 25 Nov 2008, 21:43

it sounds like a wonderful plan kate.
with regards to your anxiety, do you feel that your meds help you completely? i know about that worry non-stop mind and i typically suffer it beginning november through february when my seasonal depression kicks in and i just can't stop thinking and worrying.....
is your worrying all year round or do you notice it seasonally?
have a lovely time with your family this year.....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby SunshineHope » 26 Nov 2008, 00:23

Kate, that's good news. I'm glad you can take the medicine now. Seeing someone to help with getting a hold on the stress is also great!! I hope you have a relaxed thanksgiving, seeing that you'll be around your closest loved ones. It's great because with other relatives, you're often forced to take more and more of what you know you shouldn't take.
Take care,
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38