General Questions?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

General Questions?

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 16:03

Hello,
Oh my thanks to everyone for your replies. I was referred to a general surgeon, the same guy that took out my gall bladder and he had suggested those two creams. I will call him Monday and ask about the other creams you have suggested. My diet has changed too. I went out this afternoon (pain free right now) saw some friends and had a dish of fruit thats all. I am ok now but when the BM comes it will be a different story.
Yes steve I agree no straining that is what got me into trouble. Thanks for the advice.
My dad said he had a fissure once and he used A and D ointment what do you guys think of that? Also what about excercise I use to walk 3/4 miles a day and ride my bike, do I have to wait to be fully healed? Let me know.
Thanks so much!
BBG -Patty

Re: General Questions?

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 16:15

Hay does anyone suggest Fiber One cereal?? Just wondering..
BBG
Patty

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 16:24

I think Fiber One Cereal is great. My all time favorite and many boardies swear by is All Bran Buds cereal. Just 1/2 a cup has 13 grams of fiber. I probably have at least a cup a day with soy milk and it has really helped with the predictability of going to the bathroom.
Another tip I have is to find a well balanced diet that works for you and try not to stray from it so you know how going to the bathroom will be each day. It sounds like a pain but at least there are no major surprises in the bathroom.

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 16:45

Lecia:
I am going to the store tomorrow to get the All Bran Buds. I agree with you about the diet because I went out today to a picnic with some friends and all I had was a dish of fruit, wheat crackers and water instead of loading up on junk. This is so I would not pay for it later!
Thanks Again!
BBG
Patty

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 10 Jun 2007, 16:56

Personally, I would stay off the bike for a while. I have a feeling that would irritate the area. I did situps several weeks ago, and I noticed even that aggravated things.
I walk for exercise...even that sometimes aggravates my bum...and if it does, I stop.
Like many others, this whole ordeal has basically shut down my personal life...but right now i'm just focused on staying vigilant with the diet / increased water / warm baths / increased fiber / soft stools / etc...
Oh, one more thing...eating less is good...but don't starve yourself...this could hurt more than help...
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Jun 2007, 17:06

Yes, I went the route of eating less for a while, and it does indeed help when you pass smaller amounts of stool. But that's a risky road and I would never recommend it, only mention it. I always supplement my diet with vitamins and minerals, anyway, but I didn't stay on a starvation-diet very long!!
Yes, the AF can shut down your personal AND work life, and too many doctors don't realize that.
Sooner or later we all figure it out...with AF we can only stretch our legs a bit. NEVER try to goosestep or anything like that! Even bending and kneeling, of all things, are hard on the fissure. You need to keep those legs close together as much as possible...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 17:10

It hurts,
You are right on eating less. I have small meals all day. I am also sticking to my diet because I want this to heal and I am staying with this diet so I have no re-occurance. I am going to Notre Dame In October and I don't want to be dealing with this because we are drivng and its a 9 hour ride!!
Thanks again.
BBG
Patty.
Last edited by Guest on 13 Jun 2007, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2007, 17:13

Kim,
I am not starving my self thanks for the concern. Its just I was eating to much food at once and the wrong foods. I am getting enough through out the day but in smaller portions.
Thanks
BBG
Patty

Postby happyass » 13 Jun 2007, 08:38

i am a big advocate for using palmer's cocoa butter with vitamin e. you can get a nice 4.4 oz for a 3.5 oz price, which will set you back $3.79 at walmart or grocery store.
i am a jogger and will do a 10 miler or marathon here and there. when my AF hit me in august, i had a marathon to do in october. i did it anyway.
and i did 2 more 10 milers and 1 more marathon in during the 3.5 years of fissure hell. for me, getting out and doing my training jogs really helped me stop focusing on the debilitating aspects of the fissure while helping me keep my life mostly on track.
i think sometimes, yes there will be those super duper bad days, but for the most part, we have to really take control and not give in to the psychological part of the fissure that robs us of doing the things we love.
the more we take over and show fissure who's boss, the more we will be able to move along the healing path and deal with the ups and downs of the fissure better.
i would avoid weight training or lifting heavy objects or anything that would require your core muscles to activate - ie situps for example. work these things in little at a time with minimal weights or you may want to find some body resistance exercises that compliment you and not get in the way of the fissure.
check out qi gong for instance.
i am also a big advocate for eating smaller portions thru the day but in more frequency. for instance, having six meals instead of your big three. learning how to graze evenly through the day will leave you always energized, and as long as you eat smart foods, you will avoid those blood sugar rushes and drops, and you will not be hungry.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 13 Jun 2007, 15:54

Hello Happyass
I am going to try the smaller meals, Its a great point. Thanks for all your input.
BBG
Patty