POST LIS ADVICE

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

POST LIS ADVICE

Postby Corsi » 20 Feb 2009, 09:12

La pessimiste is having surgery on Monday, and I would love to get advice from you LIS'ers.
Do I have to take painkillers? How much/how long?
Anyone who has used Xylocain after surgery?
Since they don't actually cut inside the anal canal, but go in from the outside...does BM's hurt?

What should I eat the first days? Liquid food, or normal food?
How do I keep things clean? Sitz baths/showers?
I will not sit on my butt afterwards, that is one good advice Kim gives everyone and I will follow it. I think it makes sense, not to put pressure on the area after surgery...

Surgery date is coming closer, and I can feel it Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Re: POST LIS ADVICE

Postby cherylk » 20 Feb 2009, 09:29

Cors,
Do you feel that you will be able to carry through with your surgery date??
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 20 Feb 2009, 09:34

Haven't got the faintest idea Cheryl, I rest and take care of my self, but throat is sore and I feel strange...don't dare to think about it...
Thanks Amy!!!
Corsi
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2009, 10:55

Do I have to take painkillers? How much/how long?
I took them for 8 days but mainly to help with swelling and such - 1 Paracetamol in the morning, 1 ibuprofen late afternoon, i used voltarol for the first couple of days but they made me feel funny so i switched to ibuprofen !
I had nippy tag removal too, you will just have LIS to contend with :)
Anyone who has used Xylocain after surgery?
No -
Since they don't actually cut inside the anal canal, but go in from the outside...does BM's hurt?
No – For me it was the thought of toileting more than anything - just try and relax..
What should I eat the first days? Liquid food, or normal food?
Soft foods !
Bath after every BM – I still had to clean after bathing as the first few days everything is swollen that the poop gets stuck here and there :oops: I used boiled water , cotton buds-QTIPS, cotton balls, a magnifying mirror and good lighting ! Image
My mum suggested i use ky jelly before a BM to help keep the area clean when doing the do but i didn’t want to put anything on my open wound but I think it is good idea !

Postby Jo » 20 Feb 2009, 11:10

Hey Corsi Image
I will be gone this weekend but will be thinking of you. Hope all goes well for the surgery.
Best of luck to you.
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby pinky » 20 Feb 2009, 17:13

corsi-First of all,relax.You will do fine.All this pain will be gone and you will have your life back.
I took paracetamol and ibuprofen for almost 2 weeks i think(cant remember exactly)had to stop ibuprofen as tummy cudnt cope.you can take it for a week maybe and see how you feel.if u feel better sooner,u can stop it.
I tried to use xylocaine jelly before BMs but cudnt as it was so swollen and bruised and hubby adviced me to stop it as id used it before for a long time and the wound be cleaner too.if u have pain,then u can apply on the wound.
Bms were less painful than before but i had severe burning pain after bms which ive mentioned before.
Eat soft bland foods and liquidy foods.
Wash after bms or keep the sitz bath ready.I couldnt take sitz baths after first few days as my butt burned with warm water as id previoulsy used hot water for relief from fissure pain.sitz baths will give u relief and promote healing.
Most important,dont stop movicol or any other supplements.i will advice you to continue everything u r doing now.u know wat works for you.
Good luck corsi.u will be glad u had LIS.dont be scared.
will be praying for you. Image
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Feb 2009, 17:22

Do I have to take painkillers? How much/how long? Take whatever they offer (as a prescription or whatever) but let your own pain be your guide. I'm sure you will be among the happy majority who have minimal pain!

[b]
Yes and no, it is variable with people but it appears most people are happily surprised at how easy the first BMs were.
What should I eat the first days? Liquid food, or normal food? Normal but soft food. Don't change your diet, don't disrupt your regularity. I made that mistake.
I jumped right in that hot water after every BM!
I will not sit on my butt afterwards, that is one good advice Kim gives everyone and I will follow it. I think it makes sense, not to put pressure on the area after surgery... You will be happy you did, Corsi! In a couple weeks though you can ease into regular sitting!
Deleted User 5

Postby small_flower » 20 Feb 2009, 17:47

I took pain killers for about six days after my surgery, although I really didn't like taking them. They did help me sleep however, which I did a lot of for those first few days. I took oxycotin.
Surprisingly for me, going to the bathroom after my surgery was painless. I was on my share of stool softeners, but it didn't hurt at all. Keep it clean with baths or with a light spray from the shower head.
I suggest getting a lot of dvds or some good books before your surgery date because you will (hopefully) be spending a lot of time on the couch. I hated the way i felt. I wanted to get better right away, but I hung out with my parents and watched movies, and I felt better.
As far as your diet goes, I kept my foods light. Eggs, toast, juice, oatmeal etc.
I also stayed off my butt as much as I could for the 2 weeks post surgery. I was student teaching at the time, so I was mostly on my feet all day anyways!
Good luck on your surgery. I know that its scary and there are so many things that your thinking about having to deal with afterwards, but trust me, its worth it!
:thinkofyou:
kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2009, 18:57

ImageI haven't had this surgery but wanted to send you this cat who is going to watch out for you and make sure everything goes well. It's all going to be okay. You can handle this.

Postby Corsi » 21 Feb 2009, 08:29

Thanks everyone Image Image
What a cute cat :cat02:
Last edited by Anonymous on 08 Apr 2009, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Corsi
King Fissure