Constant draining abscess

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Constant draining abscess

Postby kimgould » 18 Aug 2009, 22:57

I first had a fissure then an abscess. the dr. made the abscess drain some in office then we decided to do the LIS . After two weeks of waiting on surgery because of one delay or another
everything felt like it was healing...so i decided to wait on surgery. The dr. said that it may feel healed on the outside but that it would not heal on the inside and i needed the surgery... i still havent done surgery. I still have pus coming out of my bottom where the abscess is or was... Is this normal, will it cause problems if i dont have this surgery? And by the way, i was not given any antibiotics for the abscess. had the abscess for 1 month now. thanks for any info. i just dont want to be too passive about this. And the skin tag is still there. i dont know what to do
kimgould

Topics: 2

Re: Constant draining abscess

Postby suzyljank » 19 Aug 2009, 09:41

Sounds like you may have a fistula. That's an opening around the rectal area that can leak stool and becomes infected. You really need to get that treated because they don't generally go away on their own. Sitz baths help to keep the area clean too. Good Luck Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Aug 2009, 10:18

Kim, can you call your CRS and tell them about the pus/drainage? You may need to have a CRS look at it to make sure that, like Suzy mentioned, it is not a fistula!
Deleted User 5

Constant Abscess

Postby kimgould » 19 Aug 2009, 16:55

Thanks for the input. I did want to clarify that the amount of pus coming out is minimal, usually only once maybe twice a day and only a fews drops at a time, that i notice anyway. I have absolutely no pain. I am thinking maybe i need to go to a different CRS. The first one will just automatically say surgery, in my opinion. I have no insurance and if i dont really need surgery i have to try any means possible to avoid it, but of course not at the expense of my health. So confused as what to do.
kimgould

Topics: 2

Postby derryboy » 20 Aug 2009, 07:29

Ihave had what you described.abccess and fistula, and what you say sounds to me you have a fistula. i got mine laid opened, where my crs cut along the top of the fistula track ,laid it open like a butterfly wings, and it was then it was left as an open wound , as its got to heal from the inside out.
Symptoms of anal fistula
The symptoms of an anal fistula may include:
a throbbing, constant pain,
irritation of skin around the anus,
fever,
evidence of pus or blood when passing stools, and
generally feeling unwell.
Pain tends to worsen when you sit, move around, pass stools or cough.
If a fistula has been caused by a condition which causes inflammation of the intestines, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis or Crohn's disease, you may experience other symptoms such as:
abdominal pain,
diarrhoea,
loss of appetite,
weight loss,
nausea, and
vomiting.
------------------------
Causes of anal fistula
Anal abscess
Anal fistulas most commonly develop as a result of an anal abscess. An abscess is a collection of pus and infected fluid. An anal abscess normally develops after a small gland, just inside the anus, becomes infected with bacteria or foreign matter. Abscesses are usually treated with a course of antibiotics. In most cases, you will also need to have the infected fluid drained away from the abscess.
If an anal abscess bursts before it has been treated, then it can sometimes lead to an anal fistula. A fistula may also occur if an abscess has not completely healed, or if the infected fluid has not been entirely drained away.
An abscess does not always develop into a fistula. Approximately half of all people who experience an anal abscess will go on to develop a fistula. There is no way of predicting when a fistula will develop.
Anal fistulas are also a common complication of conditions that result in inflammation of the intestines. Some of these conditions include:
irritable bowel syndrome (IBS),
diverticulitis,
ulcerative colitis,
Anal Fissures
Crohn's disease,
tuberculosis,
gonorrhoea, and
cancer of the rectum ====VERY VERY RARE
-------------------------
Last edited by derryboy on 20 Aug 2009, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Aug 2009, 10:45

Thanks so much for the information, Darren, and hope you are doing better, buddy! Image
Deleted User 5

Postby derryboy » 20 Aug 2009, 11:09

getting there slowly kim fingers crossed. driving for about 20 minns aday, some days though it feels like i have over done it, so next day i dont drive,
its all about trial and error, but yeah 2nd op seems to have made the difference my butt was needing. Image
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Aug 2009, 19:50

I have my fingers crossed for you too, Derryboy! Sounds like a plan about driving every other day. I do remember how low you were just a few months ago! I knew you'd make it and it would take time. You have so much butt-pain free time ahead of you, just wait, the best is yet to come! Image
Deleted User 5

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion