Canasa suppositories?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Canasa suppositories?

Postby William » 27 Nov 2009, 20:44

My new doc prescribed Canasa (mesalamine) suppositories for both my fissure and major hemorrhoid going on right now. I've taken them a couple of days now and they seem to be really helping with the hemmy. And they haven't caused any major side effects, unlike everything else I've taken. Does anyone else have experience with these?
Of course, I'm terrified of hurting my fissure while inserting the suppositories, even though I coat the tip with Prep H for lubrication and use a finger cot. Oh well, three days down and 18 to go. Image
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Canasa suppositories?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 30 Nov 2009, 23:43

I've heard of the name, but only for oral use for treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. One of the neonatal intensive care nurses that watched over my son had ulcerative colitis and mentioned it before. I didn't know it could be used for fissures though. It would be interesting to hear how it works out. I suppose it could make some sense since it's got anti-inflammatory properties.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 21 Dec 2009, 02:11

It is anti-inflammatory that as far as I know can have nasty side-effects as any strong anti-inflammatory of that kind. There is also a "foam" form , I think :roll: .
Yes, it is mostly prescribed for very "hard-core" inflammations in the intestinal tract and also in severe cases of proctitis (inflammation of the anal area ) or rectum.
I was once prescribed that medication but decided not to use it after I read original manufacturer's drug description, interaction and whole list of side-effects. One of them was inflammation of the pancreas (if I remember it correctly- you can Google the drug on-line ) and I decided that I would rather have my butt inflamed Image .
My personal opinion is that that drug is really overkill in the simple case of hemorrhoids and fissures (when I say simple, I think about fissures NOT caused by Chrnon's or similar serious inflammatory processes).
I hope that it was not the first-line therapy your doctor prescribed Image ... I am not regular on this forum so I do not know your whole story :roll: . I hope you will heal fast and if I were you I would definitely not stay too long on Canasa if there is no ulceration present !!!
Best of luck Image and may you heal fast and completely !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby William » 22 Dec 2009, 20:55

My doc only prescribed a 21-day treatment, and I didn't seem to have any problems. Hopefully it didn't have any permanent negative effects that I'm not aware of.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Fissulyna » 22 Dec 2009, 22:51

Good : ))) !!! I hope it will do the trick for you Image !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61