Had AF surgery on Jan. 22nd...still in pain!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Had AF surgery on Jan. 22nd...still in pain!

Postby sick_of_fissures! » 25 Jan 2010, 17:35

Hi! I am new on here... I am extremely thankful to have stumbled upon this site while browsing the internet.
I have been an AF sufferer for at least 10 years now (I am 31). I had tried the alternative treatments and special compounding ointments, as well as increasing fiber in my diet, and none of it worked. My CRS recommended surgery and here I am. He told me I was going to have a LIS, but when I got to the surgery center I was told I was having a fissurectomy and sphincterotomy. I am not sure if they are the same?
Anyways... the CRS said I would be fine to go back to work on Monday (today) but that simply was not possible! I have been in extreme pain, and ended up constipating myself with the pain meds (percoset). I stopped those and still can't seem to get a normal BM. Cleanliness of that area was a concern of mine (I can't even sit on a toilet at work, let alone take a sitz), so the doc said to take the rest of this week off from work. Image
It turned out that during my surgery the CRS found not only one fissure, but 2! SO he "fixed" one and also rubber banded off 2 hemmies as well.
Just wondering if anyone else on here has had 2 of these awful things at once??? Will the pain EVER get better???
sick_of_fissures!

Topics: 1

Re: Had AF surgery on Jan. 22nd...still in pain!

Postby cherylk » 25 Jan 2010, 18:48

If you just had the surgery, it will probably take awhile especially if you got constipated afterwards. Try taking some Miralax to keep your stools soft!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sick_of_fissures! » 25 Jan 2010, 19:48

I have been taking Konysal and a prescribed stool softener... I have never seen Miralax here... Where do I find it at? I have read in other posts about what an awesome thing it is!!!
sick_of_fissures!

Postby cherylk » 25 Jan 2010, 20:02

It is in most drug stores--sold over the counter! There are also generic forms of it available at Walgreen's and CVS drug stores. My mother takes it also (she's 84) and babies and children take it for constipation.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sick_of_fissures! » 25 Jan 2010, 21:58

Thank you!!! I will definitely check it out! Whenever I feel "safe" to drive again...
Btw... my question about the 2 fissures? Has anyone on here ever experienced anything like that? He decided to leave one to see if it healed... I sure hope it does! I don't ever want to go through this surgery again!
sick_of_fissures!

Postby afugh!! » 26 Jan 2010, 03:50

I've had a chronic and an acute fissure at the same time. the acute one healed within a couple of weeks and my chronic fissure took 8 weeks to heal.I've read a couple of people here have 2 fissures at once so it happens.If both fissures don't improve by 4 weeks you should get it checked out again.Just remember it takes 2 years after it heals for your rectum to regain it's full strength pre-fissure so stick with the stool softeners,plenty of water,and high fiber diet.I'm 3 months healed and I'm still on the same regimen.Browse around on the boards and you will get alot of info.
Last edited by afugh!! on 26 Jan 2010, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Corsi » 26 Jan 2010, 14:57

If you just had surgery it's no wonder you are in pain...it can take a long while to be OK. I had surgery/LIS one year ago, and I had 2 fissures as well.
Drink a lot, use Miralax or something else, be careful with what you eat and drink. Keep things dry and clean.
Good luck!
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby sick_of_fissures! » 28 Jan 2010, 13:28

Thank you to all who have answered! I am still at home (due to the doctor's orders to stay and rest up) and feeling 60% better than I did the other day! :D This has been quite a trip for sure!!!
I found the Miralax and absolutely love it!!! Even though using the toilet is still painful, there seems to be hope in sight. The first few days though, the sphincter felt as crazy and spastic as it did before the surgery, but today I woke up and it actually felt relaxed (no more feeling like a goose egg is inside of me!). All the sitz baths and icing seem to be making for a good recovery!
Now.... the diet concerns are kicking in. I am resorting to a life of limited meat and dairy and lots of fiber rich veggies. I needed to lose a few pounds anyways due to my upcoming wedding in April, and this surgery has had me lose 5 lbs already! I guess it is a mixed blessing in some weird twisted way!
sick_of_fissures!