Flaxseed oil capsules

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Flaxseed oil capsules

Postby fire-cracker » 02 Jun 2010, 16:20

After doing alot of reading here on the MB I have seen that some of you use vitamin E, aloe and flaxseed oil...so I thought I would give these products a try also....what could it hurt?? So I went shopping today at the pharmacy where I get my diltiazem and bought the vitamin E...they didn't have 100% pure aloe, which I wanted because of the lovely skin tags that I have now are a little irritated so they ordered it for me (I should have it tomorrow or Friday). Oh....I have had one of the skin tags for years, but I did get a new one with this fissure (hip, hip, horray!!)....maybe I had a fissure before and just never realized it Image . Anyway...the only thing that is sort of concerning to me is that I read online that one of the side effects of flaxseed oil is that it can increase inflammation and not decrease it Image Has anyone had that problem???? I bought store brand 1000 mg. flaxseed oil capsules and it should be taken 3x/day. I don't know if that will make a difference. My MIL uses it on some of her foods and she said it never caused her a problem, but she doesn't have a fissure. Any thoughts??? Thanks
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Flaxseed oil capsules

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Jun 2010, 17:09

I get conflicting information when I research this on the internet, Fire-cracker. The people hawking the fish-oil say the flaxseed causes inflammation, while other sites selling flaxseed claim it reduces inflammation. I took flaxseed, but alas, I cannot say that it or anything else short of surgery was going to heal my fissure. I say take the bottle and don't worry, then perhaps seek out your omega 3's from some other source, there are so many options these days!
Deleted User 5

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Jun 2010, 17:22

I tried flaxseed oil when I was in "try anything" phase and it didn't seem to do much for me one way or the other. I also tried fish oil and that didn't seem to do much except make me have frequent liquidy poops, which wasn't nice for my fissure. But my GI tract is pretty sensitive and lots of stuff causes that for me.
I'd second Kim's suggestion to give it a go and see if you notice any difference, but to not get your hopes up too high.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby fire-cracker » 02 Jun 2010, 18:57

I think that maybe I will wait until the weekend to give it a try. I would hate to be at work with diarrhea. It takes me long enough in the bathroom now with trying to relax while having a BM, then cleaning up with wipes and then putting on my butt med. There are times that the patients and my boss probably think that I have fallen in the toilet.
Thanks for your input!!!
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2010, 00:20

I use milled flax-seed mixed with my morning oats and cream-of rice : ))) !!! I use it more as a fiber enhancer that way and it works great. In old books about herbal remedies it is actually used in this form - whole or milled to promote regularity and to soften the stool.
People usually think that more is better with anything, but it usually is not Image . One can even overdose on water , so always take natural supplements in moderation and recommended way and recommended dose and always start with half the dose to see what effect it will have on your body.
I am BIG proponent of natural remedies and found them work miracle things for me and my family in so many instances !!!!
Definitely try it ! Just everything in moderation Image
Best of luck !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby fire-cracker » 04 Jun 2010, 04:32

Well I got brave and took 1 last night. I figured that I would take only 1 for the next few days to let my body get used to it. Actually...because of the side effects that I read about, all side effects of everything scare me, I wasn't going to take them, but my hubby said that he would take one...so I decided I would give it a try. I'm sure it takes a little while before noticing anything. So all I can do is to wait and see.
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 04 Jun 2010, 13:05

FC - trust me - LIFE has side-effects LMAO so you really should relax regarding that ; ))! You know how people are - some probably took MEGA doses or something Image .
You did a right thing using one since we never know if one is allergic to some things or have some GI sensitivity - so that was smart thing to do.
I use all kind of herbal things - never had ANY reaction but a positive ones, unlike the "FDA approved" drugs to which I had MANY side-effects Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61