my 8 year old has 3 anal fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby selinas mum » 15 Jun 2010, 14:37

Hi i am on here for my daughter who is 8 and has suffered terribly for 6 months with 3 anal fissures. i have been to hospital again today and they have now prescribed rectogesic but it says over 18s with a lot of side effects i was just wondering if anyone has used this on a child the same age.
many thanks
Last edited by selinas mum on 15 Jun 2010, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: didnt realise i was on the main post page was asking how to get there lol
selinas mum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: my 8 year old has 3 anal fissures

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Jun 2010, 14:59

Hi Selinas Mum and welcome!
It is saddening to hear that such a young child has to endure something as horribly painful as an anal fissure... :(
When you first log on, and you are at the home page, you'll see the main listing for the boards on the forum, the first being "New to the forum? Introduce yourself here." There you'll see all the various subject for the board. Click on the first one, then look for the small blue "New Topic" button with the sun on it. Voila, you are starting a new thread, and remember to give it a title!
I really cannot recall anyone here for a child under 10, or even much older, but I sure could have missed it. But AF in kids is certainly not rare. What does the prescribing physician say about her using the rectogesic at her age -- THAT would be the advice to follow? I am sure, that, medicine aside, many of the more conservative treatments you'll find discussed on the MANY threads here will apply to Selina.
For instance, what is her diet like? Children should heal easily and quickly unless there is some other underlying and unaddressed issue. If the junk food is cut out, and no large amounts of meat and starches are eaten daily, AND (especially) she eats plenty of SOFT COOKED veggies and fruit each day, regularly, that should go a long way in creating a soft, smooth, WET stool which is key to bringing the pain levels down and healing.
She needs blood brought to the area to help it heal. Warm, (really, fairly hot) soaking baths will give her relief AND bring blood to the fissure site to help it heal. If she is having the burning sensation right after the BM, the hot baths will be a BIG comfort.
I don't know how familiar you are with AF and treating it, so here's a good starting link if you need it:
http://anal-fissure.org/general-anal-fissure-discussion-f2/i-have-an-af-what-should-i-know-t1849.htm
We are here to help with any specific questions...
Deleted User 5

Postby selinas mum » 15 Jun 2010, 15:41

many thanks for your reply. she has suffered from anal fissures since she was 3 they picked up lichen sclerosis which is rare in children. she has been on laxatives since then. Unlike my other 2 children she only eats healthy foods her favourites are fruit and veg she is not into junk food. she is very underweight and height as well. This has been the worse case she has had she had one repaired with an anal stretch but they are holding out this time. She hasnt sat down for 6 months and stands all day at school bless her.
thanks again and i will find my way around the site im sure.
selinas mum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3