8 year old with 3 anal fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: 8 year old with 3 anal fissures

Postby selinas mum » 17 Jun 2010, 14:03

NeuropathicGuy wrote:Oops sorry my "Rectogesic" and "mum" radar combined with the current time led me to conclude Australia. But I guess you're just an UK night owl :)
I guess the creams she tried before were nifedipine and diltiazem right?
I don't have any experience with Lactulose or Senna. I think others here have tried them, maybe they'll chime in on how they compare to Miralax. Miralax is definitely Movicol in the UK. How is her stool consistency? Is it already pretty soft like toothpaste? If it is then probably no need to try something else. But if she's still having hard stools then Movicol may not be a bad thing to at least try.
It's reassuring that the fissures are near the 6 o'clock position. That's where the vast majority of "normal" anal fissures occur. The remainder of the "normal" ones occur near the 12 o'clock position.
One other more aggressive treatment than the creams is Botox injections into the anal sphincter. It paralyzes the sphincter and gives the fissure time to heal. I don't know if they use Botox injections for anal fissures in children but I know for sure they use it in very small children (toddlers) for certain neuromuscular conditions (for example with leg muscle hypertonicity due to brain damage Botox is sometimes injected into the legs). It's something that might be worth asking Selina's doc about. I've had Botox, never anal stretch/dilation (here in the States it's fallen out of favor and isn't widely used anymore), but can't imagine the Botox would be any worse. She's a brave little girl for going through all of this and I'm positive she'd handle Botox just fine.
She's definitely not suffering alone, but I really am so sorry she has to go through all of this at such a young age. I have a 8 month old boy with cerebral palsy in the hospital at this very moment and it breaks my heart to see him suffer too :( At 8 Selina is obviously much more conscious of the discomfort, I'm sure, which makes her all the braver!
BTW do you know how she got the fissure? Was it preceded by bad diarrhea or constipation that you know of?

I have posted a main reply but would just like to say thankyou. I hope all goes well with your little boy and you get him home soon.
sending my love and best wishes to you both.
selinas mum
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby selinas mum » 17 Jun 2010, 14:07

NeuropathicGuy wrote:Oops sorry my "Rectogesic" and "mum" radar combined with the current time led me to conclude Australia. But I guess you're just an UK night owl :)
I guess the creams she tried before were nifedipine and diltiazem right?
I don't have any experience with Lactulose or Senna. I think others here have tried them, maybe they'll chime in on how they compare to Miralax. Miralax is definitely Movicol in the UK. How is her stool consistency? Is it already pretty soft like toothpaste? If it is then probably no need to try something else. But if she's still having hard stools then Movicol may not be a bad thing to at least try.
It's reassuring that the fissures are near the 6 o'clock position. That's where the vast majority of "normal" anal fissures occur. The remainder of the "normal" ones occur near the 12 o'clock position.
One other more aggressive treatment than the creams is Botox injections into the anal sphincter. It paralyzes the sphincter and gives the fissure time to heal. I don't know if they use Botox injections for anal fissures in children but I know for sure they use it in very small children (toddlers) for certain neuromuscular conditions (for example with leg muscle hypertonicity due to brain damage Botox is sometimes injected into the legs). It's something that might be worth asking Selina's doc about. I've had Botox, never anal stretch/dilation (here in the States it's fallen out of favor and isn't widely used anymore), but can't imagine the Botox would be any worse. She's a brave little girl for going through all of this and I'm positive she'd handle Botox just fine.
She's definitely not suffering alone, but I really am so sorry she has to go through all of this at such a young age. I have a 8 month old boy with cerebral palsy in the hospital at this very moment and it breaks my heart to see him suffer too :( At 8 Selina is obviously much more conscious of the discomfort, I'm sure, which makes her all the braver!
BTW do you know how she got the fissure? Was it preceded by bad diarrhea or constipation that you know of?

I have posted a main reply but would just like to say thankyou. I hope all goes well with your little boy and you get him home soon.
sending my love and best wishes to you both.
selinas mum
Fibre Addict

senna

Postby selinas mum » 17 Jun 2010, 14:20

Hi i was told by our doc that senna was safe as it is a natural product that works with your own body. reading the replys i guess not now.
My little girl had a bad reaction today from the cream and almost fainted at school so that isn't going well either.
selinas mum
Fibre Addict

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Jun 2010, 14:33

I don't know anything about Senna (I think it's from some plant) but "natural" doesn't necessarily mean "safe." Fissulyna is an expert on all things butt related so if she says Senna isn't good for long term use, I'd trust her :)
Any particular reason Movicol didn't agree with her? Was it the taste? Movicol will make water have a plastic taste. I wanted to puke from the taste in the beginning too. But you can mix it with any beverage. In fruit juices or liquids with flavor, it should be barely noticeable if at all, and after time you don't notice it at all anymore.
Nitroglycerin will cause a headache, dizziness, and lightheadedness because it expands the blood vessels and lowers blood pressure rapidly. The near-fainting spell may be a bad reaction, but it may also be normal, especially in the beginning. It's possible that she will get used to the side effects after a few days (most people do including myself), or that too much ointment was used. Nitroglycerin will absorb through the skin so it's important to use just a small amount and to wash off any excess from the fingers right away. Rectogesic is low concentration nitroglycerin, but heart patients who use the more concentrated stuff are usually told to lie down when applying it and to not stand up for a few minutes when first starting therapy for this very reason.
I would honestly ask the doc about Botox injections too. They can be used in addition to the ointments so you don't necessarily have to choose just one or the other.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 17 Jun 2010, 15:00

NG,
Senna is a stimulant laxative which is not good to take long term. I'm an expert also on butt related issues! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby selinas mum » 17 Jun 2010, 16:06

Many thanks i shall go and see the gp and get the low down on the senna. hopefully she will be better in a few days on the cream then if she has to get used to it.
selinas mum
Fibre Addict

Postby fire-cracker » 23 Jun 2010, 19:02

Just wondering how your little girl is doing???? Have you taken her to the gp yet??? I hope she's feeling a better. Image
fire-cracker
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby cherylk » 24 Jun 2010, 17:01

Ditto to what Fire asked! Just stinks that a little one would have AF problems.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46