Movicol/Miralax - How much?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Movicol/Miralax - How much?

Postby Elfkin » 23 Jun 2010, 11:25

I have recently had botox injections and advancement flap surgery (as per my thread in the surgery section). This was now a month ago and the botox is definately starting to wear off.
For the last couple of days it has been really difficult when having a BM. I'm getting that fissure feeling where it feels like it could tear. It is uncomfortable doing a BM with a bit of soreness afterwards which soon passes. No blood on toilet paper yet.
I am very paranoid that my fissure may re-appear.
At the moment I am taking one Movicol sachet in the mornings (post BM) which I have done for several years. I am eating loads of fruit and veg.
Questions (finally!). Does anyone take more than one sachet of movicol per day? If so does this increase the number of BM's or just make things softer still. Does anyone mix another softners or fibre supplements with Movicol for better results? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Elfkin
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Movicol/Miralax - How much?

Postby cherylk » 23 Jun 2010, 14:03

Elf,
I take Benefiber with my Movicol at night. Splitting up the Movicol in two separate doses (not the same amount each time) seems to work best for me. I take 4 3/4 teaspoons nightly and 1 1/2 teaspoons mid-afternoon. Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Philber » 11 Aug 2010, 08:55

I take 17mg of PEG (Miralax, Lax-a-Day, Movicol) twice a day, mixed with lots of water. I also take a heaping tablespoonful of Metamucil twice a day, mixed with lots of water. This was on the recommendation of my surgeon.
I have found that neither of these increases the number of BMs I have. Rather, they increase the bulk and softness of my stools.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby StevePain » 11 Aug 2010, 09:29

I take 13.5mg of Movicol a day, I've not needed any other supplements but am thinking of trying Metamucil to bulk up the stool and have less BM's per day.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 11 Aug 2010, 09:52

I'm now down to 4 1/4 teaspoons at night (bedtime) and 7/8 teaspoon in the afternoon=5 1/8 teaspoon daily, which is a little less than one sachet (in the UK) or one capful (in the U.S.). At my highest I was taking about 13 teaspoons of Miralax daily. Taking Benefiber and Metamucil has enabled me to decrease my Miralax dose. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46