Already taking Citrucel and Miralax - what else can I take?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Already taking Citrucel and Miralax - what else can I take?

Postby Guest » 27 Aug 2010, 14:11

crimesofpassion,
I have no idea what more you can do. I have had my fissure for 6 months and I'm still don't know if I'm going to end up getting surgery. We have no Insurance right now so I can certainly relate to your Dad getting laid off and the money part.
You mentioned that you ate licorice. I know others on here have said that you have to stay with the fissure diet and no sharp foods like chips, nuts, popcorn...etc. Do you think the licorice may be too hard? Did you feel any pain when you seen the blood though? I think certain foods can look like blood and licorice and strawberries are both red.
Where are you from? Did you have your LIS in America? I am so horrified that I may have to get it and when I read of so many people who are still having problems after, it just get's worse.
I use to get diarrhea when I became emotional or nervous too but ever since I got my fissure it hasn't happened( Thank God). I think it may be because I am kind of like a zombie with no emotion just thinking about this.
Some of the others on here have tried Botox. Hopefully they will respond.
I feel awful for you! I hate fissures!!!

Postby StevePain » 27 Aug 2010, 14:46

hey crime, you aint alone, I had massive pain after my LIS, I couldn't pee properly for a while after, I was in real agony though for the first week after surgery, I couldn't even clean myself properly because of the pain and swelling and at one point I was ready for phoning an ambulance because the pain was so intense, honestly, I was terrified and the sweat was rolling off me, fortunately the pain has eased off considerably after 3 weeks but I still have pain occasionally.
P.S. Don't give up the Miralax.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby crimeofpassion » 27 Aug 2010, 17:34

Hi dawn. Yes, I'm an American. I had my surgery here, in Wisconsin. My case is so unusual, though, and because I have chronic pain issues (fibromyalgia) and diseases that affect my pelvic health (interstitial cystitis, vulvodynia), my experience with LIS is not standard. Other people have had difficulty with the surgery, of course, but try not to get too scared off by my personal story. It's not the norm. I just got lucky. Image
Pain during a BM for me is pretty standard, although it's often very mild and more uncomfortable rather than painful. Usually I tend to feel more sore afterward. And when my stool is too soft, I feel sore/irritated, just like normal people do after having overly soft stool. I'm not experiencing any HOLY CRAP I'M PASSING GLASS! type pain.
Yeah, whenever I have to do something new or stressful (speeches, exams, even a minor quiz, etc) I get diarrhea. Nothing seems to prevent it. Because I'm SO easily stressed out/made nervous, this can happen a lot. I'm also very shy, which doesn't help. So I anticipate a lot of diarrhea in the next few weeks as I head to a new country for the first time!
Steve, I'm sorry to hear about that. I was so surprised at the whole not being able to pee after surgery thing. I had never seen anyone mention it, but a nurse I later talked to said it wasn't that unusual. At the moment I'm not taking my usual daily dose of Miralax because I've had overly soft stool for a few days. I'm not sure if it's being caused by the magnesium. I started the magnesium (and vitamin e) supplements because I heard they're very good for fibromyalgia and muscle spasms. I didn't realize they can also cause loose stools.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby StevePain » 28 Aug 2010, 02:08

crimeofpassion wrote:Pain during a BM for me is pretty standard, although it's often very mild and more uncomfortable rather than painful. Usually I tend to feel more sore afterward. And when my stool is too soft, I feel sore/irritated, just like normal people do after having overly soft stool. I'm not experiencing any HOLY CRAP I'M PASSING GLASS! type pain.

That's pretty much the same for me, I feel sore afterwards and definitely if the stools are too mushy the burning irritation is there, there's no pain during BM though, the key is getting the perfectly formed stool which is near impossible IMO.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45