how long to use rectogesic for?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

how long to use rectogesic for?

Postby New mum » 18 Sep 2010, 03:43

I have been using rectogesic for 3weeks now and my doctor didnt tell me how long to use it for. I feel good but not healed. how long should i use it for????
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: how long to use rectogesic for?

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2010, 06:33

Hey New mum,
I have been using mine for about 8 weeks. My doctor gave me enough for 3 months. Don't stop using it even if you feel healed.
How long have you had your fissure? If it's not chronic yet, you may have a really good chance of healing with the ointment Image

Postby New mum » 18 Sep 2010, 18:11

I have had it since the birth of my daughter 6months ago. So its chronic :( ........ We want to try for another child but i need to get better first but i feel i will never get better!
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2010, 21:25

I'm so sorry... How awful you have to go through this after having your baby!! I agree that you need to get better before having another. I have had my fissure for 7 months now and I've been using the ointment for about 8 weeks. I know the longer you have the fissure, the less likely you are to heal without surgery. I didn't start using the diltiazem until my fissure was chronic either. It has helped with the pain and spasms, but I keep seeing blood so I will be having surgery in a couple of weeks. There is another member on this board, Cherylk who has healed with the ointment . She comes on often.
I'm not looking forward to the surgery but I feel like it's the best chance I have to get this over with and I can relate to feeling like you will never get better. I wish now that I would have just had the surgery when I had my fissure a couple of months and I would be healed by now... I feel like I've been drug down mentally and physically for way too long and now I have to go through with the surgery anyway. I guess the bright side of this is I have learned how to eat and what stool softeners will work for me while I'm recovering witht the surgery Image

Good Luck Image I hope you get better soon. I know how hard this is!