Rectogesic - Strange side effect!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Rectogesic - Strange side effect!

Postby sphinctersaurus » 10 Nov 2010, 15:57

Hi all!,
Ok ... so this is going to sound weird, and honestly, until a couple of days ago I was pretty sure I was going bonkers. Really, all this AF business has been very anxiety inducing on the whole but in the past few months I feel as if my relationship with sanity has become a little more ... distant. I have been using Retogesic ointment for around four months now. I started off on the full dosage (three times a day), but the headaches became so intolerable, I reduced that to twice a day (morning and night). I have tried diltiazem, but came up in a rash. During the past couple of months I have started to experience some involuntary facial twitches. First - my upper lip on the left hand side, then around my left ear (which made it sound as if my ears were popping all the time) and then underneath my right eye.
I consulted my doctor, but he just shrugged and then seemed to find it all a little amusing.
A couple of days ago I was unable to use the Rectogesic at all due firstly (at night) to headache and due secondly (in the morning) to needing to go to the bathroom immediately upon waking (I'd normally apply it before a BM). The result ... very little facial twitching the first day and on repeating the routine for a second day, no facial twitching at all!
Has anyone else had this side effect after long term use of Rectogesic?
It does kinda raise a little bit of a problem, because I could probably stop the night time dose without any ill effects, but the pre-bowel movement morning dose does help a lot! A break of just a couple of days has it feeling a little sore down there. Previously, I had been managing it reasonably well.
Eager to hear if any of you have experienced the same!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Re: Rectogesic - Strange side effect!

Postby afugh!! » 11 Nov 2010, 04:15

When I use to take Rectogesic/nitroglycerin I had the headaches but after a week of using it it went away.The only other side effect I felt was I felt like I was getting cross eyed,tightening of the chest/short breath and light headedness.I just put up with it as long as it did it's job.But if you feel and have tested that there is a correlation than you should adjust the dosage as such.When I feel like the side effects are getting to me I just apply a smaller amount.I also make sure that the last application effects wear off before I would apply it again.Are you giving yourself a 12 hr. Rectogesic free period?Mines came with a pamphlet suggesting to do that.I don't know if it is to reduce the side effects or what not but I follow the directions anyhow.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19