How long does valium stay in my system? (Driving question)

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How long does valium stay in my system? (Driving question)

Postby Cagirl » 20 Nov 2010, 16:08

So I went for a second opinion the other day. I've had this AF for maybe 6-8 weeks, a small one. First doctor gave me nothing for my excruciating pain, told me to dilate with a plastic dilator and take Benefiber to bulk up. That had a counterproductive response if you ask me. So the 2nd doctor said only 30-40% chance of healing and try Colace. (He really wants me to do LIS). I did finally get valium out of the first doctor when I said I really needed to go to the ER.
So I can't drive my kids to school due to my debilitating pain. I've had to have various people taking them and picking them up which I can't keep doing. Sometimes I'm ok after taking the valium but it's only 5 mg and wears off in about an hour. Does anyone know how long I would need to wait before driving? I know it can be detected in my system for up to a month.
Thank you all to your previous replies, I was in too much pain to respond.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: How long does valium stay in my system? (Driving question)

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 20 Nov 2010, 16:35

Valium's half life is pretty long at up to 200 hours. It produces a couple of active metabolites that also kick around your system for a while. But its acute half life is far less than that, usually around 4-6 hours depending on your individual metabolism. So the vast majority of people can drive well within that time frame, and I'd say most can drive even sooner because the noticeable sedative effect wears off pretty rapidly. Tolerance to valium also usually develops pretty quickly so of course the more you've taken it, the less effects you'll notice. Personally I can drive right after taking valium but then again I have a benzo dependency, so yeah ... whenever you feel fine is probably okay.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Cagirl » 29 Nov 2010, 13:16

Thnks neuropathic guy! I couldn't have gotten a better answer out of my pharmacist!
Sorry to hear about your dependency, I hope you're able to resolve that soon.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby cherylk » 29 Nov 2010, 13:54

NG is a real smarty (pants). :)
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46