Recurrence after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Recurrence after LIS?

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2010, 19:13

I've seen plenty of research and doctors online talking about LIS having a relatively low recurrence rate for both the original fissure as well as new fissure formation. I was curious out of those that needed more than one surgery if there was a suspected cause (surgeon didn't cut enough the first time, scar tissue stopped the healing, or diet caused a new tear or the old to return). The few instances of recurrence I can find reference to online talk about how most of the time if the LIS is performed optimally, the fissure will simply reheal with little to no effort all of its own. Just curious what others experience has actually been though.

Re: Recurrence after LIS?

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2010, 21:37

Hey there,
I'm only 8 weeks post op and really as curious as you about this. I don't know if you read some of fissyulyna (hope I spelled right) threads but she did have 2 LIS. I think the cut wasn't sufficient the first time around. I have read of some others on here who tore their fissures after LIS and ultimately healed and I do believe it was because of diet. I think they were told eat the same as they did before the surgery- I think Jen was an example of that and as far as I read she did heal...
I've basically just kept my pre-surgery diet and added a little more junk here and there and plan to keep it up 6 months to a year before eating anything too risky. I plan to never go back to the way I use to eat. I never ate well or healthy before I got the fissure.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Dec 2010, 21:42

Dawn, good to see ya around again! :)
Yep Fissulyna did have LIS twice. In her case I think Dawn is right, it was because the first time around, the surgeon was too conservative with the cut. I recall that a few others here had repeat LIS but the names escape me at the moment. It's rare but it does happen.
I don't know about the fissure just healing with little to no effort though. Even after LIS you've still got to keep up a good diet for a while. I think most people return to completely normal eventually but you do need to be diligent and still get adequate fiber, keep stools soft, etc. until everything fully heals, which takes months.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 08:59

So did those who had recurrence get the same pain, itching, etc or was it just simply diagnosed by a doc? Especially curious as the LIS seems to have alleviated the pain instantly, with only some itching left so figuring that at the least any future fissure recurrence might be less severe.
I'm in a situation where I can't really use softeners because i have IBS-D. With that I end up needing imodium which of course has a binding effect. I try to minimize that but hard to make it through life otherwise sometimes. Hopefully the fiber, etc. is enough to allow healing.

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 09:27

Thanks NG :)
From what I read Esheesle, they got the same riping feeling you get when you have the shards of glass feeling with a fissure. I'm not sure really though...
I can't imagine how much harder it must be to heal w/ IBS.
Yes, hopefully the fiber will do the trick. I think I've read Cherylk has IBS. She takes the fiber supplements w/ miralax, I think.

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 09:31

miralax nearly destroyed me so avoiding that to. just fiber and trying to eat enough veggies and such for me.

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 10:33

I do wonder that, if the surgery alone ends up relieving pain in most immediately and allowing healing, why wouldn't the effects of the surgery(mostly permanent) allow the same to continue to happen? Obviously diet to speed the process in most as well.

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 13:02

That's a good question, I wonder myself. All that I know is the sphincter regains some of it's strength back over time and that if the cuts not sufficient, it may regain total strength back- from what I've read.
I think I will be worried about this until years pass and I haven't had any problems.
I know the diet helps and speeds up the healing but my CRS never said to avoid or eat anything in particular. She just said take the fiber supplements. It kind of makes me wonder how so many people heal without knowing to avoid or eat certain things...I'm sure everyone's not going to the internet and researching how to take care of a fissure?!
Last edited by Guest on 13 Dec 2010, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo

Postby Guest » 13 Dec 2010, 13:50

Yeah, my doc said to eat whatever I want. Wanted me to take fiber(which I already did for IBS anyway) and if I went 48 hours without going, help it along with dulcolax.
I have increased my fiber a bit though, and cut down on imodium as much as I can. Also doubled my water intake, a good thing even without stomach/fissure issues.