2 week post LIS update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2 week post LIS update

Postby Deleted User 437 » 16 Dec 2010, 18:41

So I went to my check up today and everything seems to be doing fine. The doctor took an "outside" look at me and said the incision is healing fine. I then had a few questions for him.......
It turns out that what I thought was the incision site is the fissure site, and vice versa!!!!!!!! My mind was blown. This is strange because after the surgery what was actually hurting the most was the fissure (the doctor did say that it's to tell as a patient where everything actually is, because when patients refer to pain, they are really talking about an area of spasms....my fissure is actually right down the middle, and not on my left side which is where I think it is) not the incision. Now, the actual fissure site still hurts a bit during and after BMs, but it is definitley tapering off.
The actual incision site has been acting up the last 3 days, but today it has been much better today, and I was comforted to know that it's healing properly. He wants me to return in a couple of weeks so he can do an "inside" check to make sure everything has actually healed.
The last thing I asked him was what the options are if it doesn't heal. He told me that in 25 years, he has had to do a 2nd LIS twice. So I definitely like my chances.
Overall I'm pretty happy about it, and I feel pretty good. Not close to 100% but getting there. It's also kind of strange that what I now know is the incision site really only bothers me when I stand up and walk around, not too much when I'm sitting. It was the exact opposite with the fissure before the surgery.
I know there are one or two people having the LIS done today or tommorow, and I just want to wish you guys/gals luck. I definitely think it is the right thing to do.
Fiberup
Deleted User 437

Re: 2 week post LIS update

Postby Guest » 16 Dec 2010, 19:23

Glad to hear everything is going so well for you. I don't see my doc until 4 weeks post but suspect everything to be healing ok. Still a bit of discomfort from the incision site(I think at least) and once in a great while from the fissure, but only very minor discomfort that lasts a few minutes or so (mainly itching which can be more annoying than painful). Some minor bleeding/seepage but very minimal there to. As far as life, I'm doing everything except working out and plan to start at least a minimal workout next week again. Can't say any of the after effects of lis are inhibiting me. Much preferred to the fissure pain. If I never have to feel that pain again I'll be thrilled. At this point I wouldn't even care if the fissure were there if it kept quite pain wise.

Postby Cagirl » 16 Dec 2010, 21:39

Fiberup - I'm glad to hear you're news!
I asked my CRS too, since he just stopped short of saying I had the biggest fissure he's ever seen (in 37 years of practice) if I would heal and he said yes. So I'm really trying to humor him and go along with it.
Mine kind of acted up a little yesterday (14 days post op) but I've been chauffering my kids around and sitting for the first time. Things seem better today, so I'm sure a little of this back and forth business is probably normal for a while.
Let us know how your 1 month goes!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Deleted User 437 » 17 Dec 2010, 18:26

Thanks for the well wishes guys!
I just wanted to add that today the incision site has been acting up quite a bit. I've been doing a lot of standing and sitting, and it just feels like this constant pinching and bruising pain. It's been very annoying. I do believe that the incision is healing, and the pain is from spasms at (or around) the incision site (I would call it more of a cramp). Has anyone else had this?? If so, did the muscle relax after a while? It's been four days now I think since this started, an it really cramps up at night when I'm trying to sleep.
Thanks
Deleted User 437