11 hours post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 11 hours post LIS

Postby Guest » 19 Dec 2010, 00:29

pss... I noticed you asked about soap. Don't use soap down there. Just use plain warm water and air dry or blow dry on cool setting. My crs said no soap and I've read where most others have said theirs did too:)
Take care and rest plenty. Take it all one day at a time:)
It will get better. Just stay off your butt and rest plenty.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 00:49

Hey Mr Fissure, it sounds like you were a relatively heavy bleeder after surgery. I'm glad you're over that part at this point. To be honest, that's the only part that sounds unusual to me so far.
The pain with passing gas and also BMs and other things you've described sound normal to me. Not feeling loose isn't cause for alarm either. Truthfully I could barely feel my butt for the first day or two after surgery. The area was just numb and swollen. Around day #3 it started feeling like I actually had an ass again :) It was a while before I could sit on it comfortably though.
You're probably going to feel a veritable cornucopia of sensations in your butt as you heal over the next few weeks Image Most of us do, and surgeons are terrible at telling us to expect them. So don't freak out too much if recovery doesn't follow the nice neat timeline that your doc laid out for you. Don't get too hung up on that -- 1 day recovery time is just absurd. Most people take weeks to months to fully recover after LIS. A lucky few bounce right back in days but that's not the norm. Believe me, it does get better, even for super slow healers like myself. Be patient and you'll get there. And as others have said, soap on the bobo is generally a no-no, and take it easy -- for the next few days for sure, and preferably over the next couple of weeks if you can.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby mrfissure » 19 Dec 2010, 01:39

Hi guys,
Uh-oh. I think I've figured out where the pain is coming from--I have a little lump on one side of the anal opening. I haven't seen it, but I can feel it there, it's a little moveable lump, a little bit hard to the touch and hurts somewhat if I touch it, not excruciating though. I think if it wasn't for that lump I'm guessing I wouldn't be feeling too bad right now. What is that lump? Is it a normal post procedure thing, or the beginning of an abscess, or what? I'm not having any discharge. Could an abscess happen so fast?
Happy, I did have an enema pre-procedure. My diet before and after the surgery has been the same: lots of high fiber foods, veggies, fruit, grains. I am taking it easy and staying off the butt for the most part. I took some ibuprofen in the AM and went back to Vicodin for the PM.
Dawn, thanks for the tip about soap. Good to know.
And thanks everybody for taking the time to read and respond to my posts. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to me. Thanks so much...
mrfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 19 Dec 2010, 11:33

For one day right after surgery, I wouldn't worry too much about an abscess just yet. It's not impossible, but there will also be swelling and tenderness the day or two or three afterward, so it may just be that. Keep an eye out for any pus-like discharge but for right now I wouldn't freak out too much about that lump. If it's still there in a week and leaks yellow stuff, then it may warrant a closer look though.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Cagirl » 19 Dec 2010, 20:44

Hello MF and glad to see you're doing better now vs. your trip home.
I'm 17 days post LIS and have had a great recovery, so here's a few of what I've done. For gas, taking a probiotic may help with gas and indigestion and keeping internal flora normal.
As for avoiding infection: clean and dry are the words. Getting stool removed asap after a bm is key. No wiping though, just blotting it off with flushable wet wipes, then a short warm sitz bath, only once a day after a BM after 5 days post op is what I did. And I love the blow dryer idea, thank you Dawn, I did use that the first week. And rested for at least an hour after a BM. I didn't do ice, that's a vasoconstrictor and blood circulation that promotes healing is key.
I've been off my rear most of the time, lying on my sides, up and around just short amounts of time, driving minimally and only been into 2 stores, quickly.
Ibuprofen is a vasodilator, so it could cause bleeding. I know it's better for pain, but keep it in mind if you have a bleeding episode again.
I've been taking vitamin c, and children's chewable vitamins since they don't have iron or calcium - I don't want to risk the constipation at this point. Eating fiber >25 grams a day in foods with skins that are without seeds, such as purple grapes that promote circulation and have fiber, blueberries (fighting those free radicals you know), pears - high in fiber. No meat or dairy for me - again I don't want to risk the constipation. But I've been eating and drinking some soy, we do need some protein. A lot of beans and lentils, high in fiber and nutrient dense, high protein. Baked potatoes too, margarine, no butter or sour cream. Olive oil (hey I'm a woman and need it for my hair, skin and nails and it does a little for the stool also). 80 ounces of water. I wake up in the morning and drink 10 ounces at least 20 minutes before my BM. I haven't taken any pain medication since I believe it was day 2.
A lot of my recovery basically revolves around diet, rest and hygiene.
All the best for a speedy recovery!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9