Surgery scheduled Tuesday 12/21

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery scheduled Tuesday 12/21

Postby reidgirl » 19 Dec 2010, 12:09

OK, on the heels of Mr.Fissure's posts....I, too, and considering backing out of my LIS/fissurectomy on the 21st. Yes, strangely enough the fissure seems to have calmed down over the past week. Just rawness there which I guess I'm learning to live with. I just keep rereading over all of these posts and there don't tend to be a whole lot, especially when involving a fissurectomy, that seem like they do well over a 2-week period -- the time I've alloted myself to try and recover before having to go back to work. It just doesn't sound possible that I will be well enough to go back to my teaching job 1/3 without a lot of messiness and pain going on. Arghhhhh....wondering now if I should wait until the summer......does this complicate things more by waiting???? I hate this.
reidgirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Surgery scheduled Tuesday 12/21

Postby happyass » 19 Dec 2010, 14:04

hi reidgirl,
i certainly believe that you will need to weigh the possibility of dealing with your pain and set backs for another semester before you cancel.
if you can do that, then i would see no problem in complicating things.
please remind us how long have you been dealing with your fissure.
certainly if it is under a year or two, waiting another semester out won't hurt. i have waited close to 7 years now.
i really think that people considering LIS need to allow themselves time to heal and to consider that a remarkable amount of patience is required as well as composure.
being super conservative with expectations, this can help you think about how you may want to approach other things going on with your post-procedure healing time and this is doesn't involve a fissurectomy, so it may be a little longer:
for LIS, one would want to allow 2-3 weeks for post-procedure healing if all goes well.
it would take approximately 6-8 weeks to allow the anus to return back to a non-inflammed state.
and approximately 6-8 months to transition body, mind, and and anus, to feel 90-95% normal.
and within 12 months - first year - as almost 99-100% normal.
2 weeks you may get over the bigger hurdles but there is still a long way to go to feeling absolutely normal.
the question now is how sooner rather than later do you want to deal with this?
and if you can endure another four-five months until schedule surgery in the summer. this way, you can do it right soon after last day of school and have summer to take it easy and heal with no other pressures.
others will chime in but as you can read from just about everyone, people are still dealing with things 4 weeks out of LIS.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby William » 19 Dec 2010, 14:13

From your other posts, it sounds like you've had this for over a year and a half. If you've had a fissure that long, it seems unlikely that it will go away on it's own. I got mine in August 2009 and had multiple good and bad periods since then (others have had similar experiences). Feeling good now doesn't mean that you'll be ok from now on.
I had an LIS/fissurectomy/papilla removal last Thursday (12/16/2010) and, at the rate of healing that I've had, I'm optimistic about being able to go back to work by the end of the year (fingers crossed). You are certainly cutting it close, but your fissure may not be as bad as mine (since you didn't have spasms; I had some nasty ones, and the doc said mine was pretty big). But if you wait until summer, you will probably have problems this spring and miss some time anyway.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 21 Dec 2010, 11:17

Hey there, if you've already had your fissure for a year and a half, then waiting until summer may not make matters any worse. Unfortunately there's always a possiblity that it may build up more scar tissue or a skin tag can develop from the fissure that may lead to more work being done. Some have developed infection- abscess or fistulas from their fissures from waiting but many who have had them for years don't. It's impossible to know....
I had to have a skin tag removed and my fissure cauterized after having mine 8 months but have seen others have them much longer and not have as much work done...
Either way, you may need more time then your job will allow for healing during this time and I think you need to feel the time is right for you mentally as well. I saw in your other post that you were second guessing the surgeon also. If you aren't comfortable with the GS, then maybe this will give you time to see other doctors and decide.
I really feel awful for you having to teach and deal with this. Take care:)
Dawn