How much blood with AF?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How much blood with AF?

Postby Ryan31 » 21 Dec 2010, 22:51

How much blood have you had with your Anal Fissure?
I've had some instances that really scared me. Seems everything online states "a drop or two on the toilet paper". But this was never the case with me.
I've had streaks covering 1/3 of the stool surface before. Usually for me, it starts off as a streak and by the end of the stool is a bit more. I also once had it bleed out of nowhere (no bowel movement) and I've had it bleed an hour after a bowel movement. But most all the time it's only with a bowel movement and lately I've just had bad pain, but little to no bleeding.
Ryan31
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: How much blood with AF?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Dec 2010, 23:12

My fissure was a pretty heavy bleeder in its early days. There were many days when I'd get up after pooping and see a toilet bowl full of red water. It was way more than a drop or two on the toilet paper.
After it went chronic, it bled less, but there was still definitely more than just a bit on the toilet paper. For me, the blood was both streaked on the stool and also just kind of there in general after pooping. I usually bled more toward the end of a poop too. In fact, if I just had a really small poop, there would usually not be any noticeable blood at all.
Some people's fissures don't bleed very much, if at all, but I don't think it's unusual to have some decent bleeding too. As long as it stops and doesn't continue profusely, you should be okay. Doesn't hurt to consider a colonoscopy to make sure the bleeding is "just" coming from the fissure, but most likely it is.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Ryan31 » 22 Dec 2010, 23:50

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so I am not alone on having more than "just a couple drops" as one of the symptoms on so many websites states for AF.
It's weird, sometimes when I pass a hard stool with lots of pain for even a few days in a row I have no blood and then other times I just have one stool that isn't even that big and only slight pain and it will have a blood streak. Makes no sense. I had a colonscopy 10 years ago when I was dealing with this, came back ok. Then recently had a rectal-surgeon look around with some flexiable thing while in his office and said all looked ok. And this is all the same symptoms as 10 years ago, so not worried now. But that doesn't change the stress of this thing and fear of the bleeding, thats for sure.
Ryan31
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 23 Dec 2010, 05:17

Bleeding is never nice but from down below its damn scary especially while it spreads out in water or some white TP. If I were you i would go back to the docs and explain the situation. Just because it was all ok doesn't mean alls well now. Before you panic at this reply remember if you do have a problem you'll be catching it earlier making your treatment/recovery easier. Alternatively the doc gives you another all ok and your mind is at ease. Either way its a win. Just an opinion, hope it helps and you're feeling better.

Postby Guest » 23 Dec 2010, 08:56

Hey there,
I had small amounts of blood on the stool and it would happen randomly. Sometimes the softest stool would have blood in the beginning and I'd have no pain-crazy!
I've read of some others on this forum bleeding pretty bad though. If your loosing large amounts of blood then you have a risk of becoming anemic. I would definitely get your blood checked for that.