For the lucky ones-When did you know you were healed?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

For the lucky ones-When did you know you were healed?

Postby Bambi » 29 Dec 2010, 13:59

So I have been better lately. I had botox back in early November and it took a while to help, but then things got better but weren't completely normal either. I also think I've finally realized that using the Miralax and possibly having a greater frequency, but more reliably soft BM has been key. I also have a skin tag which feels and looks big to me, but the CRS deemed very small. It was getting irritated when I was Christmas shopping or walking quite a bit.
A week ago today I had my checkup with the CRS and I was ready to sign up for the LIS, assuming that was what he would recommend. Because I was "better", but I knew it wasn't gone either. And we've put off so many plans, etc... It had been two weeks since I had bleeding or significant pain, but then two days before the appointment, I had a little of both. He recommended doing a second round of botox and I am scheduled for that next Tuesday the 4th. Christmas Eve morning I woke up and had a somewhat firm BM (having switched to Colace the night before) , followed by a very loose BM a couple of hours later with lots of bright red blood (not the way I wanted that day to start!). That shook me up. But since then, I've gone back to Miralax and things are a lot better. Better to the point that I am psyching myself out that I don't need to do the botox. My husband thinks I have finally gone around the bend and am deluding myself. That is certainly possible! But back to my original question, which is- for those of you who are healed in whatever path you followed, when did you finally realize you were "healed" and the fissure was "gone". I wonder if I will even know when things are finally ok. Does that make any sense? And what do you all think? I guess my husband's take is that if things were that easily upset only a few days ago, how could it really be gone and wouldn't it be better to capitalize on the fact that I am getting better and the 2nd botox will finish the job and be the end of it...Sorry to ramble!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: For the lucky ones-When did you know you were healed?

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2010, 14:33

Bambi,
I'm still scared and I don't think I'll feel healed until I go a year without any problems. I haven't seen blood since October when I had LIS, and I don't have any pain but still have a fragile feeling in that area, like things aren't quite 100% yet. I can't really describe it.
In my opinion if you had pain and blood that recent, then I would go for the second round of botox or LIS but that's just me....My fissure fooled me for weeks at a time before lis and I got so tired of it. Once I went 4 weeks without any blood or real pain, but truthfully I was even kidding myself then because there was a tight uncomfortable feeling until I had the surgery...
Cherylk healed her fissure without surgery or botox and it took 2 years, I believe. So I guess it's really up to us individually to decide how long we are willing to give it to see where it goes. I just didn't want to spend years suffering and dragging it out,and in the end need surgery!
For me 8 months was long enough to dedicate to my butt and looking back I feel like an idiot for just not getting it over with and having my surgery as soon as my fissure became chronic.
My crs didn't push surgery, but suggested it. She was willing to write me another prescription for the ointment the day I told her I wanted LIS. I feel pretty lucky when I read about many others on here who had to wait years to get theirs.
I know many want to try everything before LIS but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't try anything but LIS,LOL.... But I have had really good results Image
A second round of botox or LIS would definitely be what I would do in your shoes. I don't want to persuade you, that's just if it were me,LOL
Take care,
Dawn

Postby mrfissure » 29 Dec 2010, 16:37

I had botox twice and felt some improvement, but was never completely symptom-free for more than a few days at a time. I considered going back for a third round of botox but did LIS instead. After more than three years dealing with the fissures, I was really tired of managing them all the time--the diet, the softeners, the ointments, the soaks. I'm still not healed 12 days after LIS, so I can't say for sure that I'm cured. But why not try the botox once more? Who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones. And there's really not much downside with botox, no risk of any permanent damage as far as I know.
mrfissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Postby cherylk » 29 Dec 2010, 17:54

I'd try the Botox again. I think healing is not a straight upward line, but rather jagged. There will be ups and downs along the way as it is difficult to keep one's BM's perfect every single day. I needed to use the Diliatzem as needed, but I think it just takes that area a long time to regain its strength and become completely normal and strong since it is used so frequently. The key is to keep anxiety and worry to a minimum and to try to keep the butt issue in perspective as it relates to other far more serious health issues. Even though having an AF is truly a pain in the butt! Once you can get your mind around keeping everything in perspective and staying positive, improvement accelerates! I WISH I WERE IN FLORIDA RIGHT NOW!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bambi » 30 Dec 2010, 10:42

Thank you all so much. You have really helped me once again. I knew I would check in here this morning and get some good guidance. And I actually feel in a much better frame of mind about everything and know that is probably key to stay more calm about everything. That has always been a challenge for me in my life as I tend to think that things won't go away and for me, that has often been the case. And then they are suddenly better- sort of "out of the blue". This has been the case with the fibromyalgia stuff over the years. I have been telling myself that there are much worse things that could be going on- all of a sudden I seem to have had an epiphany about that. Things feel more "normal" than they have in quite a while and I can't quite explain that either. But I think you are all right about going ahead. I have also gone a month before back in the fall only to have this resurface and it is so annoying. I am not in the mood to move backwards-only forwards! Onward and upward!
Thanks again-
Bambi
Happy New Year!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bambi » 30 Dec 2010, 10:47

And Dawn- is that you in your profice picture? Am I remembering correctly that you are a grandmother? If so, Wow! You are very young looking and cute!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 30 Dec 2010, 12:34

Aww thanks Bambi! Yes, I'm a Grandma( still getting use to the term), haha!
Happy New Year! Hope things keep going forward for you:)
Psss...
I turned 40 and became a grandma this year, oh and got the fissure,Lol