LIS and Anoplasty - 3+ weeks post op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and Anoplasty - 3+ weeks post op

Postby callmecrazy » 08 Feb 2011, 16:45

Well, I have surpassed the 3 week post op mark, and will reach 4 weeks post op this Friday. Overall, things are MUCH better than they have been in the days and even weeks following my surgery. I am back at work and have little to no pain/discomfort during my day. In fact, the only time I feel anything is when I'm getting out of bed in the morning, since my butt cheaks kind of slide on their own accord, spreading a bit, which puts tension on my scar from the anoplasty.
I will be honest - I do have scarred skin that is basically like little skin tags in several places, but the doctor did warn me to expect that. It feels like I replaced 2 big skin tags with several smaller ones. However, I was told that while it's there, it's healthy tissue, unlike the tags it replaced.
As for my fissures, I have no complaints. The anoplasty and LIS helped relieve my stenosis considerably, and I have zero negative side affects. There is zero leakage, zero issues with urgent BMs, zero issues with bleeding, and zero issues with pain. Granted, I'm still early in the overall healing process, but I'll take it.
I am back to work full time - sitting, mind you - and while the first few days were not comfortable, I hardly notice it now. I am also continuing to take my metimucil and miralax daily. I've found that 1/2 a dose of the miralax is just right for me (took me a while and several urgent/water stools to figure this out...).
So, again, I cannot even begin to express my gratitude to everyone at this sight that helped me through the roughest few weeks of my life so far. Thank you all! I am hopeful to continue updating this post in the near future with all positive news. Image
callmecrazy
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: LIS and Anoplasty - 3+ weeks post op

Postby cherylk » 08 Feb 2011, 17:05

Call,
Good to read of your progress.
"Miralax Forever" can be the chant for many of us. Taking it sure beats having a sore rear end!!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby happyass » 08 Feb 2011, 17:40

i am so happy for you Jenn!!!!
that is amazing progress.
when you are at work, do you sit at your desk all day? i know i have been at work last week full-time and then two days before then half-time, but even now, i manage to get up from my desk and take a walk every 20 or 30 minutes all day.
on one of those breaks, i do a set of repetitions on the stairwells - 6 flights up / 6 flights down and then repeat 3 times.
anyway, love that you are in a much better place today and healing & recovering is going well.
big hugs! you deserve it lady! now time to go for some fishing!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby callmecrazy » 08 Feb 2011, 18:31

Hey Cheryl!! How was your trip to Florida? Warm enough for ya? LOL We had a bit of a heat wave a while back. It was horrible. hehe
Oh, happy, you have no idea how much I can't WAIT to get back on the water. We actually spent last weekend working on getting our boat ready for spring fishing. Just regular maintenance and safety stuff, but it felt sooooooo good!
As for work, I'm quite surprised at how sore I'm not. The first week sitting was tough, and I'd come home swollen and sore (felt like I had a golf ball stuck in my bum). I did get up often the second half of the day, but the mornings I was not too bad. Now, to be honest, I have no problems sitting all day. And while I'm still timid about my BMs, I'm less scared each time I go.
The scarring overall feels pretty bad, but then again, given the amount of cutting/stitching I had done, I'm overly surprised.
On a side note, I suppose it's only fair that I mention I have a really high tolerance for pain. That's not to say I didn't have pain during my recovery, because that's quite far from the truth, but I think my recovery has been affected by my ability to shrug off most of it. Plus, I have what has been referred to as Super-Human healing abilities. I don't believe it or else I wouldn't have gotten these fissures in the first place...
Heck, the worst part now is that I still have itching. If that would go away, I'd be great! Spraying benadryl spray on my rear every day is getting a bit old. LOL
callmecrazy
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby cherylk » 08 Feb 2011, 19:23

Calm,
I liked going to Key West and Sanibelle Island and just walking the sandy beach on Fort Myers Beach with the WARM sun. We're heaing into a wind chill advisory tonight into tomorrow, so I guess I'll be excercising at home tonight!! :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby alpinestrawberry » 10 Feb 2011, 12:20

Callmecrazy, your story gives me so much hope! I'm pretty sure I'm just about as much of a mess now as you were before your surgery...ugh. So glad you're doing well, what an amazing recovery! Hopefully the surgeon I'm about to see will be as good as yours... :)
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17