Looking for world's best gauze!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Looking for world's best gauze!

Postby Bambi » 26 Feb 2011, 13:44

Ok- so I ran out of the gauze squares the hospital gave me which actually were pretty soft. Yesterday I started using ones we had around (for what reason I don't know- they are probably from 1982, but are individually wrapped). I also got some smaller ones before the surgery, but the ones from the hospital were of the somewhat larger variety. Anyway, now it is becoming increasingly uncomfortable around the skin tag/fissure site and I think these are rubbing. What have people found to be the best thing? On the Dr's sheet, he mentioned cotton or toilet paper as options, but it seems both those could leave their own residue of sorts and might not be so good. Any ideas from all your experiences?
Thanks!
Bambi
I know Happy mentioned some from CVS, but we don't have those nearby. We have Walgreen's, Safeway, King Sooper's (owned by Kroger), Walmart, Target- I think those are pretty much the options.
P.S. Love to be able to ask these practical questions, by the way!
And if you use the larger ones, they get folded in the area? Did you fold yours in a particular way or just put it back there as it came out of the wrapper? I am pretty much a normal sized woman- and I am one of those people who are driven crazy by tags in clothing and that sort of thing so I know I am overly sensitive to things like this. If my clothes could not touch my body, that would be ok with me! Not the one for skintight jeans even before this mess...
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Looking for world's best gauze!

Postby scaredy_butt » 26 Feb 2011, 21:13

The gauze I bought is from Shoppers Drug Mart. They are made by Dukal Corporation. Theres 200 of them in a white paper sleeve with blue and red writing. There are different sizes available, 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4. These ones are 3x3. What I did was just put a dab of ploysporin in the center and put that part on the skin tag site so the gauze was sort of folded in half once it was in place. Does that make sense? After the first week I started using them only after a BM when there was dome leakage because I found that it was uncomfortable to have them there all the time after the first week. These ones are nice and soft, I have no complaints about them. Hope that helps!
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Bambi » 27 Feb 2011, 19:30

I had wondered about putting some of the lidocaine or the Calmoseptine ointment, but I am still supposed to be using the Nifedipine, which also makes it way out a little. I wasn't instructed to use the polysporin, but he did give me the script for the Lidocaine. Maybe I'm trying to use ones that are two small- the 2 by 2s. Today it has seemed a little better. I got the feeling he wants me to use them at least until I see him, which was to be between 2-3 weeks ( seems like longer than I expected) and that isn't until March 8th.
Thanks for the info. I am not sure we have that store here though.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bambi » 05 Mar 2011, 21:58

I just wanted to say that I discovered some gauze squares that are the Target store brand and found them to be softer than the regular brand ones. Still rather annoying, but they are much better and more like the ones they sent me home with.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William » 07 Mar 2011, 04:52

I kinda like the Walgreens Rolled Gauze (the stretchy kind). It's nice and soft.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby StevePain » 07 Mar 2011, 13:29

For the first few weeks after LIS I wore panty liners! Image
God only knows how you women cope with them between your legs every month!! Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bambi » 07 Mar 2011, 13:50

StevePain- I'm sure that's high on your list of things you never thought you'd be doing!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 07 Mar 2011, 14:02

LOL, Indeed Bambi... They did the job though!!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45