Anyone experience irritation from Nifedipine itself?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Anyone experience irritation from Nifedipine itself?

Postby Bambi » 09 Apr 2011, 16:26

So my news is basically very good- the CRS said Wednesday that my fissure looks healed and any remaining issues I am feeling are "surgery related". He indicated that the areas that have healed will be more sensitive for a while. The spot where the skin tag was attached and removed is still giving me issues- some days pretty good really but others, like today, fairly annoying. He still wants me to use the Nifedipine ointment for another week and a half. I am anxious to be rid of it. I have been using it for 11 out of the last 12 months. It seems like when I get up in the morning, things feel pretty good, I have a BM, it is ok, I shower or soak, it is ok, I put on the ointment, it starts to feel aggravated. Or is it a time thing and some little bit of stool or discharge is making it's way out by then. I'm not sure. I have been trying to put A and D ointment or Calmoseptine on to protect the area. I am beginning to wonder if the Nifedipine is just irritating to the sensitive spot there or if it is just getting rubbed by my walking and starting to exercise more. I'm not like most of you- I've gained 10 pounds since January so I have to get back in the swing of things- very frustrated when I am eating better than I ever have in my entire life!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: Anyone experience irritation from Nifedipine itself?

Postby Elphie » 11 Apr 2011, 10:21

I have also been using nifedipine since July and experienced the same thing, it causes swelling around my fissure I think, I stopped using it two weeks ago to get ready to start the sufrexal from Mexico which I started a week ago. Now, I'm almost afraid to say it out loud, I feel better than I have in a year! I still have pain but it only lasts a few hours instead of all day, it's only been a week so we'll see....but it doesn't irritate or burn, or itch or anything. My surgery is in 18 days, I'm going to use the sufrexal for one more week then may try nifedipine again, depending how I am. I also got a Valium type drug from my GP, which is LIFECHANGING! Stops the burn!!
I am so glad u r doing better, I felt so good on Friday I went to my friends house three hours away (I drove!) for the garden show, although I won't b doing much gardening this spring, it made me feel like I'm still in the loop! I also got a great deal on some really rare peonies so I'm feeling happy for the first time in a long time!
If u know anyone going to Mexico, my husband also found it in Belize, happyass said sufrexal helped her alot post op to finish up the healing that was happening slowly, I really think it works!
Anyway, sorry for going on, I hope u r 100% soon!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Bambi » 11 Apr 2011, 11:03

Hi Elphie-
So glad to here you think the sufrexal is helping you. And that you had a happy day- I hate how this robs us of those days. I don't know how we all aren't just extremely depressed really since this robs you of a lot of happy things- certain foods, the simple joy of going to the bathroom, waking up and not feeling dread. I feel like I am gradually reawakening to my life, in spite of the fact that my husband faces his surgery next week. I feel like I am having more of the "joy of living" moments.
I feel pretty good today- I went to Curves with my friend this morning and so far, so good!
I will keep in mind the sufrexal is someone we know is going to be in Mexico. I would be a little hesitant right now to add anything new to the mix, as things are going pretty well, but I would definitely pick some up to have around if I had the chance!
Hope your surgery goes really well- I'm sure it will!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Elphie » 11 Apr 2011, 17:26

Thanx for the good wishes! I hope your husbands surgery goes well, I used to b so scared of cancer, I lost my father two years ago to pancreatic cancer within a few months of diagnosis but my dad was stubborn and hated doctors, knew he was sick for a year before he told anyone or went for help. But, on the other hand, my mother, stepfather, mother in law, my aunt and my grandmother have all fought cancer and won, thank god, so I no longer fear it like I used to. I think your husband sounds like a fighter and he will b ok. If the fight was too easy it wouldn't b so scary but, as women, we r tough and can bounce back. I hope it goes well and your healing continues!
Mary
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10