Is there an end?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Is there an end?

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2011, 23:22

Hey Lost,
I also had a fissure for 8 months before getting LIS, and I can tell you right now if I had known what I know now and had been diagnosed early enough, I would have had LIS after 6 weeks of my fissure. Unfortunately I wasn't diagnosed until I had mine for about 4 months.
If I would have been diagnosed as quickly as you have, I would have gave the ointment and baths about 6 weeks and if that didn't work then I would have went ahead with my surgery.
The ointments can take awhile to heal. Some have healed with the ointments after a few months and some years, but from what I read most who healed were prescribed the ointment right away as you have been.
You could use this time to get the diet/ and or stool softeners, fiber or whatever makes your bm's come religiously and soft before you get your Lis (if needed) . It really does take some trial and error while figuring out the best diet and supplements make the best bm's for healing...
It is definitely a personal decision on how long you can take it or willing to wait before the surgery. Most of us were so fearful of the surgery that we gave it much longer than we should have, Lol
Good luck and try to take the warm baths. They really help along with the diet, softeners and ointment.

Postby rockpine » 05 Jun 2011, 15:54

Hi Lost,
My CRS recommended surgery the first time that I saw him. It sounded simple but then I thought he was maybe jumping the gun so I went back to my GP to get her opinion. After all that, I decided to get the surgery. In my case, I went through with LIS and got a hemmie and fistula removed.
I had been suffering from an AF for about a year and at the time I met my CRS, I wasn't really having any pain with BMs. But, I knew I still had the fissure since I had bleeding once in a while and sharp pain out of the blue every so often.
My problem had to do with the way I'm built. My rectum is too small and that has given me reoccurring problems with constipation, hemmies, a fistula, and AFs. I'm really glad I got the surgery. I knew with a bad constipating meal, a bout of stress, or not drinking enough water would give me a hard and big BM that would re-aggravate the fissure. Now I feel almost back to normal, but am cautious with my diet. BMs are much easier than before because my sphincter wouldn't open up because it was too tight because of the pain. Personally, it feels good to be out of the woods with the severe pain and spiraling worry that AFs can bring.
Good luck with your decision and let us know how you are doing.
rockpine
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby frustrated » 06 Jun 2011, 13:52

My CRS said the same thing...gave me the option. It is possible for some to heal if caught early, but if you are in that much pain why wait another month. I didn't catch mine soon enough though and 8months was a long time to keep trying to heal with diet and creams. I wish I had done it sooner. The surgery really isn't that bad and if you don't have skin tags you'll feel better in days. I could tell my sphincter was looser and more relaxed almost at the first BM. The skin tags are what gave me the most pain (6weeks post op and still some pain after BMs but NOTHING like fissure pain). I'd say your CRS's percentages sound reasonable (50/50 versus 95%) and only you can decide on which of those you want to take. I was all gung ho on healing on my own and then one more bad day just pushed me over the edge and I made the appt. Good luck....
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8