surgery dilemma

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: surgery dilemma

Postby Guest » 15 Jan 2007, 22:42

stevieb wrote:Hi everyone...
1. My AF is certainly chronic. The doctors seem satisfied themselves that only surgery will work. Has anyone else managed to "cure" a chronic fissure without surgery?
2. Does "cure" mean that the fissure goes away -- or is it simply less painful?
3. I'm a bit concerned because while the surgery aims to keep the spasms under control and so allow healing, are you always aware of the spasms? Is it possible that I don't have them (at least not all the time), or have I just got a very high pain threshold?!?
Steve

Hey Steve :hi:
1. I dont know anyone to cure their chronic fissure without surgery. I had LIS, i am not cured yet, but am almost there.
2. I hope cure means go away completely. Thats what my CRS said anyway
3. If you are not getting any spasms that is good - perhaps you do get some though and they are just not as strong, or maybe you dont get them all the time, or yes maybe you have a high pain threshold. Its very hard for me to answer that.
I had spasms all thru the day, night, when ever, and when a BM happens the pain of eliminating would make my butt clench and the spasms then begun. I agree with the shards of glass stabbing you up the butt, and barbed wire, that is the easiest way for me to describe the pain.
:IMO: I think Hugh's post was a bit hasty, everybody im sure can rate their own experiences accurately - as everyone is different. Giz is right, the forum would not be needed if we all suffered the same or used the same treatments etc. But im sure he didnt mean to offend :joker:
but i do know of people out there and I spoken to another CRS who says the LIS can be done different ways. Some people have it cauterised and the inscision, some have it stiched and the incision, and some have none of those and just have the incision alone.

Just in relation to this bit, I also have read quite a few posts on the yahoo site about people who have had the cauterisation and the stitches also, so i guess there are several different methods for surgery - maybe it depends on the CRS you have?
anyhoo, :drunk: lets get back to the fun stuff Image like all these new smilies, I LOVE THEM :bouncy: :cheer:
Love to all
Annie :kiss:

Postby happyass » 16 Jan 2007, 07:20

not that i am against surgery or anything....
i was headed there myself; i even moved up my f/u appt with the CRS a month because i was very worried about the fistula diagnosis rather than the fissure but i was feeling pretty good with the fissure department.
anyway, i am not saying that i am cured. i am healing. i am far from being cured. and all i could say is that the only reason i have stuck with my CRS for so long is that he is not on the fast track to put me up on the OR table and he has always been conservative. for whatever reason after checking out my "ass" Image, he decided that things were healing on their own very well for a change. that the tissue was getting nice and that he could see the fissure healing on its own and that the fistula would be too.
Image :albino: Image Image
so i am not saying that i am cured; but on the road to hopefully recovery. after all, it was the doctor himself a month ago putting me in for LIS, fistulotomy, and colonoscopy.
fwiw, there are other people who have proclaimed to have been cured using olive oil and vitamin e mixtures to heal the fissure on its own. in addition to yogurt enemas..... :study:
i have done neither; only to say that when that area was very tender and somewhat irritated with a burning feeling, i would add some vitamin e.
i know people are writing that from their own experience, they have not met anyone to cure a chronic fissure, but it does not help me to read that; maybe i am being pollyanna about the whole thing but i have actually been feeling good with regards to fissure for what will begin a 3rd week, if not a little longer. i know i have had at least a good 2weeks with mr. fissure doing well.
i don't what to hijack this thread, but we all need encouragement in whatever routes of healing we are taking. God knows that i have suffered enough with this monster and i was ready........it wasn't until i really started to turn things over to God, by giving in to the surgery and still praying, and letting God know that if this was His will, then so shall it be. i can't help but feeling that finally allowing God into this situation completely for me, to show an act of faith in the hands of God and well the CRS, that God has pardoned me and shown me mercy. everything is possible with God. (not to offend those who don't believe).
and i am sure Hugh didn't mean to write out his post reply with offending others. it happens. and we all have different fissures, different pains, different ways of coping, different spasms, different ways that bring us relief, different beliefs.
so i hope Hugh you are okay and that you come back....
Cheryl is only looking out for the overall best interest in the board; I am sure you get that!!!!!
i feel so close to Hugh and I don't even know him..... :cat:
okay everyone have a blessed day......it's tuesday in USA and probably close to Wednesday in australia.....
:afro:
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 17 Jan 2007, 19:29

happyass wrote:i know people are writing that from their own experience, they have not met anyone to cure a chronic fissure, but it does not help me to read that; maybe i am being pollyanna about the whole thing but i have actually been feeling good with regards to fissure for what will begin a 3rd week, if not a little longer. i know i have had at least a good 2weeks with mr. fissure doing well.

Sorry Gareth i wasnt trying to bring you down, what i meant to say was i hadnt met anyone 'yet'.. and to be totally honest, ive never met anyone with a fissure in 'real world', i only met them in cyber space! And im sure there are HEAPS of people out there that have cured their fissure without surgery!
Im glad you are doing well, you will be the first one that ive met 'online' to be totally cured of a chronic fissure without surgery!!
I am sending big hugs and many positive vibes your way Image Image
Sometimes our posts arent coming out how we were intending them to, maybe we are all a 'little' too protective of our fissures.. Image gosh i know i have been sometimes!!
Love Annie :kiss: