Fasting

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Fasting

Postby alx » 26 Jun 2011, 18:09

I just had the LIS surgery 5 days ago. Hopefully, on my way to healing. At this point, 13 months after my fissure started, I am truly willing to do ANYTHING to get better.
I am constantly tempted to not eat. Just wondering if anyone else tried fasting for long durations to help with healing.
My mom is currently in the hospital for a problem unrelated to a fissure, however, she has been forced to fast in the hospital for four days now (going on five). People who go on hunger strikes for protests (or whatever) seem to make it 10-15 days without food.
I am considering cleaning out my system, then fasting for 5-8 days, then eating for 1-2 days and cleaning out my system, then fasting again. Of course during the fasting I would be taking plenty of vitamins and clear liquids.
Although I am WELL AWARE fasting is not the healthiest option, would you consider this a reasonable plan of attack to get better if all-else fails?
alx
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Fasting

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2011, 21:11

Alx,
Fasting may sound like a good idea but it really isn't. First off- your body needs food and nutrients to heal. Second you would need to fast forever, because fissures can re-tear... It takes awhile before that area gets strong again... You really need to eat fissure friendly foods and learn how to eat well for the rest of your life to keep this from happening again. That's not to say you can never eat junk again because you can but you will probably always need to eat healthy food forever-along with that junk and keep up your fiber intake which will help you not to get constipated and get a new fissure!!!
Why are you even considering fasting if you don't mind me asking? The key to healing a fissure with or without surgery is learning how to eat and keeping the bm's soft- with fiber supplements, food or/and stool softeners.
I know people who fast for religious reasons , etc....but that's just not a real good idea when you just had LIS and have a fissure to heal in my opinion.
:)

Postby dexterdude » 27 Jun 2011, 00:05

There is a better solution: Movicol/Miralax. It is a freaking miracle: I can practically eat anything with it (except spicy foods), chips, junk food, nuts biscuits etc. Stool consistency was exactly the same. Anyway, I don't eat all that crap for other reasons, but I have tried it for a couple of weeks out of curiosity and made no difference.
So I think if you have a good diet and also take Movicol/Miralax, you should be ok.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby alx » 27 Jun 2011, 20:57

thanks for the input
im not considering fasting at this time, just wondered if anyone else here tried that. just curious.
as for miralax, i picked up restoralax (canadian alternative) yesterday. i took it twice and my stools were very soft. im curious about the activation time though? if i take it should i expect to be going to the bathroom in the next hour or two? or does it just work slowly till the next BM?
alx
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 27 Jun 2011, 21:44

Alx,
It can take one to three days to start working. I noticed it took about three days when starting it to get the optimal results...
It's a good idea to start out taking 1 dose a day and then adjusting it up or down depending on how it works for you. Too much will cause diarrea, so it may be necessary to adjust the dose and take less.
Good luck.

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion