GP's lack of knowledge

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

GP's lack of knowledge

Postby StevePain » 30 Jun 2011, 15:45

I recently saw my GP and he asked me what creams/ointments I had used in the past.... I thought "why the hell don't you look up my notes" Image anyway to cut a long story short I told him I'd tried GTN, Diltiazem and Anoheal, he then looked at me and said "I've never heard of Anoheal" and will have to look it up, he also questioned me about the Diltiazem saying it was only for people with heart complaints.... I give up!!! Image
Has anyone else encountered a useless GP with no knowledge of anal fissure treatments, I am really fed up with docs and CRS's alike, it seems I know more than they do!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: GP's lack of knowledge

Postby Guest » 30 Jun 2011, 16:38

That's crazy Steve. I think that is what's so frustrating about having a fissure. You are basically on your own trying to figure out what to do and not to do Image
My GP never even mentioned a fissure. He just did and exam that about killed me and sent me home to take my colace and metamucil.
Thank God I found a good CRS but still it was a long road with very little help. If I hadn't researched for myself and found this place, I probably would have had the worlds biggest fissure....

Postby cherylk » 30 Jun 2011, 19:04

Oh, Steve, I would send you a new a$$ across the pond if I could! :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bernie » 01 Jul 2011, 02:46

StevePain wrote:Has anyone else encountered a useless GP with no knowledge of anal fissure treatments, ...

Yes! This time, I've been prescribed a hemmy cream [not that I knew it was one from the name or the notes inside, it just said to use on your anus!] 3 times, even though I kept going back saying it wasn't working. It wasn't until I finally saw a CRS who informed me that 'of course' it wouldn't work on an AF and that it could even make it worse. So, CRS prescribed me Anoheal.
When it ran out, I went back to GP (actually I had to phone as I couldn't get an appt) for a repeat, and he'd never heard of it, so I said that it was diltiazem 2% cream, and the script was for dilt 2% in paraffin. The latter made me itchy, so i went back again, and the GP said it wouldn't make a diff, but finally gave me Anoheal again.
I have no faith in the docs at all, tbh.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby val » 01 Jul 2011, 10:44

When I had my first fistula, I went to the doctor, and she said "what do you want me to do about it?" I said "well, antibiotics might be a good start!"
This time when I got another fissure I asked my doc for diltiazem, and he gave me diltiazem tablets! They are all in lala land!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby StevePain » 02 Jul 2011, 15:27

val, that's ludicrous, Diltiazem in tablet form is only for heart complaints, I can't believe they're that stupid!!!!!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Layla85 » 18 Jul 2011, 14:08

I got given glycerin suppositories when the fissure first arrived. My GP seemed to assume I was experiencing run of the mill constipation, when what I was describing was glass-like eye-watering agony whenever I attempted to "go". She didn't even bother to look down there. The morning I attempted to take these, hoping that after four days I'd be able to have a BM was, no joke of a lie, one of the worst of my life. It all got sooo much worse.
Then got given some very constipating codeine tablets the second time round it appeared...
Then hemorrhoid cream for the fissure three months ago... I've now found out the cortisone in it will only make it worse.
Grrrrrrrrr I feel your pain guys! Image
Layla85
Salt Bather

Topics: 18