Anal Fissure and Skin Tag...Surgery?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal Fissure and Skin Tag...Surgery?

Postby Trifox » 15 Jul 2011, 19:55

Good evening! I have been having painful BM for 12-18 months now. In March I went to my primary care DR and he said that I have hemohroid and take suppositiories. I did and it got worse. I went to a hemmohroid TX center and was diagnosed with a anal fissure. I used a nifedipine cream and many Sitz baths for about 5 weeks and felt healed up. In may I went to an Ironman Triathlon and when I returned back to the hotel room I not only had pain all over my body, but noticed that the toliet was full of blood! I had tore the fissure again. I used the cream again in may and june and now here I am in July and I am starting to have pain again with BM and blood spots noted on the toilet paper. I know that i have a skin tag from the fissure (left side of anus). But now I feel like the pain is on the right side of my anus. I made an appointment with the rectal surgery after explaining to my DR the problems I have been having. My question is... Will the DR now reccomend surgery? I want to be prepared to hear his suggestion? and how long will I be off work and training as a triathlete? I have a very strenous job and heavy lifting associtated with my job.
I just dont know how much longer I can live with going to the bathroom and sitting on the toilet and feeling like i am " pooping out tortilla chips?"
I also ride my bicycle alot, do the riding cause pain and tearing? My DR said "no"?
any suggestion or information would be helpful!!!
Triathlete in Pain!
Trifox
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Anal Fissure and Skin Tag...Surgery?

Postby Guest » 15 Jul 2011, 21:56

Hey there,
sorry to hear you have a fissure! I will try to answer what I can and hopefully others will chime in.
Since your fissure is chronic, I would imagine your Dr.wouldn't have a problem at all with doing the surgery. I'm not sure if you are seeing a colorectal surgeon but you definitely want to get your surgery and advice from them.
Recovery times vary from person to person and it also depends on the work you have. I had a LIS and the skin tag removed last year. It took a little over two weeks before I was able to get out and about without much discomfort. Having the skin tag removed does bring a little longer period for being sore but it's so worth it! The fissure will take 6 weeks to heal after surgery. You shouldn't do any heavy lifting or anything strenuous during your recovery.
I'm not really sure how long you will need to stay off of your bike but I wouldn't before a 6 week recovery and then listen to your body (butt), and do what it tells you. If you feel sore than stop and wait longer... That's just my opinion :)
It can take some time out of your life,but so worth it to make small temporary sacrifices to get your life back!

Re: Anal Fissure and Skin Tag...Surgery?

Postby SummerGal » 20 Jul 2011, 21:47

I went to my CRS today to do a anal manometry test (sp? lol). He said my muscles (I guess when I squeeze) were not as strong as he would have liked, but something about maybe it's because my resting muscles are a little stronger. How will this affect what kind of procedure he does for the fistula and fissure I have? I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday and surgery next Friday.
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1