Your daily routine for anal fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Your daily routine for anal fissure?

Postby Ducky » 25 Jul 2011, 21:30

Hello! I am new here to the forums. I seem to have specific times of when I should be taking Benefiber, laxatives, prunes (horrible...), and when I have a bowel movement. It is frustrating me!! I envy other teens who can enjoy the rest of their young years while inside I'm suffering..
Anyway, what is your daily routine like? :)
Ducky
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Your daily routine for anal fissure?

Postby itpainsme » 25 Jul 2011, 22:02

I typically have two bm's a day. Once in the morning after breakfast and then the second one is in the late evening, usually after dinner or sometimes even closer to bedtime. Here is how I take all of my stuff that I need to take:
I take Miralax mixed with cranberry juice every morning when I get up as well as my psyllium fiber also mixed with cranberry juice. Right before bedtime I take my stool softeners (docusate sodium).
When I first got diagnosed with my fissure, I was only having one bm per day. I like having them twice a day, it seems like they are smaller (I know, TMI). I didn't start having bm's twice a day until I started my fiber, miralax, stool softener regimen. It is nice that my bm's are not in the middle of the day, that way I don't feel like I can't go anywhere. The hardest part for me is drinking enough liquids, if I have a day when I don't drink enough fluids, the bm is noticeably harder. I also apply my nifedipine ointment after each bm.
Good luck finding what works best for you. I have been dealing with my fissure for over a year, it takes some trial and error to get a good regimen figured out.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby FishBoi » 25 Jul 2011, 22:56

Some say to take fiber supplement (i.e. benefiber, etc) during the day leaving you time to drink plenty of water throughout the rest of the day. Fiber supplement works with liquid if you don't drink enough with the supplement you will get hard stools which will make your fissure worse.
Every individual is different when it comes to fiber intake and the effects of it. I cannot take Metamucil or Benefiber as it makes my stools very large/bulky which aggravates my fissure. I find Colace to work better for me. Colace is a stool softner which is not a laxative so it is safe to take for longer periods. This is what my CRS told me. (Don't take Peri-Colace which is a laxative. Laxatives make your BMs lazy and you may become dependent on it) Also, papayas and baked yams do it for me as well. With yams I only eat half per serving. I find that If I eat too much yams it makes it too soft and irritates my bottom. Fiber intake is very difficult to gauge since what works for one person may not work for another. It's just trial and error. But don't get too crazy as excess fiber will cause gas and bloating. I know sometimes with the onset of a nasty fissure, I get caught up with fiber intake the first few days. I've learned to control that a bit and after years of managing my fissure, I'm still fine tuning my fiber intake.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby fissurepaingy » 26 Jul 2011, 07:51

I've got a pretty good system now. I figured that the best case scenario is that I make a bm well before I leave for work, giving me enough time to do my sitz bath immediately afterward, properly dry etc... So, during the day, I get up and have 1 bowl of hot quaker oats, by the time I'm done, I'm ready to make a bm. So I do that then hop into the sitz bath immediately afterward. Before I leave I drink down 1 dose of my fiber supplement, and I drink water on the way to work.. I realized I needed to cut out my beloved cup of coffee in the morning and stick with water as it's better with the fiber/makes it work how it should. At work I stick with a fairly decent diet; triscuits, fruit, and some spinach or something for lunch.. maybe some hummus. When I get home I have another dose of fiber, and then I eat dinner... usually whatever I want for dinner. Then just before I go to bed, I take the last dose of the fiber supplement along with 2 stool softeners.... this regimen I've recently started has allowed me to go fairly early when I get up in the morning... which is what I need to do so that I don't sit with too much pain at work all day! - my surgery is August 11th, so I'm just trying to keep this fissure somewhat tamed down to deal with it up until that time. I'm sure well after the surgery I will still be sticking with this routine so that I can heal properly.
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby fissurepaingy » 26 Jul 2011, 07:54

By the way Ducky, I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this in your teens! I'm in my mid 20's and thought I was young to have an anal fissure. It will get better! Worst case scenario, if you need surgery, the LIS surgery is very successful and doesn't sound too bad. But you may not even need that. Just come up with a good system that works for you to keep your bowels soft and regular so that you don't make your fissure worse and to keep the pain/discomfort to a minimum. Anyway, I know how it can affect your life! It's terrible... it's definitely put a damper on my summer!
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Ducky » 26 Jul 2011, 11:44

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed reading what others go through daily -- I feel your pain. Such a bummer that you have to prepare enough fiber and water, and one hard stool is enough to set you back to square one. I'd like to try some of your methods and see how well it would work.
My gastroenterologist instructed me to take Glycolax, which I was hesistant about. Though he mentioned that it is safe to use for a couple of months (2 to 3), and "too long" is 2 years.
I'm considering the surgery, and have researched a lot about LIS. :) Good luck to you, fissurepaingy! Let me know how it goes?
Good luck to the rest!! This forum is really friendly.
Ducky
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3