Spasms and pain relief? I can't go out today

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Spasms and pain relief? I can't go out today

Postby of all the places to hurt » 04 Aug 2011, 08:21

Hi everyone,
Any advice for relieving spasms? I have 2 fissures and internal piles. Awaiting colonoscopy and scans. This is 5 months of torture up to now. I am so bad today, I can hardly walk Image ..
Any advice???? GP just given me movicol and tramadol for the pain but its not helping 4hrs later?! All the tramadol is doing is making me a little spaced out!!
Any comments would be so much appreciated!!!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: Spasms and pain relief? I can't go out today

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2011, 08:30

Hi Andrea,
I had the spasms 24/7 for eight months. Nothing really stopped them but a few things that helped were the baths and the diltiazem ointment. If you could get one of the ointments for fissures, they may help a little.
LIS was the only thing that stopped mine completely Image

Postby Sandi071 » 04 Aug 2011, 08:48

I am six days post my LIS surgery. If you want your life back get back have the surgery. If your chronic, nothing will help you except surgery.
Sandi071
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby of all the places to hurt » 04 Aug 2011, 08:51

Ah x Thanks for the advice! I have that cream and lidocaine too. Getting botox injections at the end of the month and figure they are going to be a waste of time?! How are you now after the LIS? Are you still watching what you eat etc...? This is ruining my life Image
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby of all the places to hurt » 04 Aug 2011, 08:54

I am realizing that LIS is the only way forward now! Did you get anything for the pain post op? My biggest worry is having that first poop! After sigmoidoscopy i cried like a baby! Thanx for replying to me Sandi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 04 Aug 2011, 10:28

Like Dawn, I had spasms for nearly 8 months - ugh, absolute torture! And yes, the only thing to releive them was LIS. The diltiazem and rectogesic does help, as does a low dose of valium and sitting on a hot water bottle. I did actually burn my bum pretty badly from sitting on it for 8 months LOL!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 04 Aug 2011, 11:11

Ooo ouch! You haven't put me off trying a hot water bottle though lol..Oh the joys of this Image
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby itpainsme » 04 Aug 2011, 13:09

of all the places to hurt,
I just wanted to mention that I would not rule out Botox. I had it done last week along with a fistulotomy and skin tag removal. I am doing really well, no pain with bm's and the only pain I have had is some stinging and burning where he cut the fistula open. I have noticed that the bm's come out much easier now since having the Botox(tmi, I know). I know that everyone's situation is different, but I would consider giving Botox a try. My CRS says he only resorts to LIS when nothing else works due to the risk of incontinence issues. I asked him about it when I had my Botox and fistulotomy. He also assured me that he has had positive results with Botox on his patients. Another variable in the success of Botox may be the location of the injections and also the amount of Botox used. My CRS injected the Botox into all four sides of my internal sphincter muscle. I have read that some inject it around the fissure and some inject it by the external sphincter muscle. I am sure that all of these differences factor in to how well Botox works. My CRS has had a lot of success with it and that made me feel good about my decision. At least with Botox, it is only temporary. I was more willing to risk that first before surgery to permanently cut the muscle. LIS may be the best choice for some, but Botox may be a good option too, it all depends on your situation.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby bigbabyboy » 04 Aug 2011, 18:22

Itpainsme:
I couldn't have said it better myself. I had botox a little over a month ago, and it has been helping SO much. It really does depend on the person and their situation, but like you said, why not try it first before something more permanent. You never know, right?! My CRS said the exact same things that yours did, and I find it very reasurring. I go back in September for a check up. She told me that if my sphincter was still tight, that she would do a second round... so far, it's looking like I may not need it :) You said you're a week into having botox; I hope it stays good for you. I had a little bit of a relapse about a week after my botox, but got back on track a few days later, and have felt pretty good since. Best of Luck to you!!
bigbabyboy
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2011, 22:16

val wrote:Like Dawn, I had spasms for nearly 8 months - ugh, absolute torture! And yes, the only thing to releive them was LIS. The diltiazem and rectogesic does help, as does a low dose of valium and sitting on a hot water bottle. I did actually burn my bum pretty badly from sitting on it for 8 months LOL!

Oh Val,
I did the same thing with a heating pad. I know sitting on a heating pad wasn't smart but the pain was horrible and I took the chance. My CRS freaked out when she saw my butt at my appointment before my surgery.
You could see grill marks all over my butt.